OK, after viewing all the available evidence and consulting with experts from the media I have come to inescapable conclusion that the kid in the picture can only be...

"Porky" from the Little Rascals.

He was in drum corps. Who knew?

According to my sources, he played a G bugle for Our Lady of Perpetual Guilt (Hell's Kitchen), before moving on to the Bowery Boys, sometime in the mid- '50s, with whom he won the Delancey Street block championship and the coveted Riker's Island Cup.

• Like 1

Riker's Island Cup.

Other winners of Thr Riker's Cup were PeeWee, JoJo, Swan, Manny, and believe it or not D'Amico ... (I know ... it's uncanny)

:-)

• Like 1

Ray Fallon, you do realize that you asked for this pic., right? lol

Sort of... I guess...

Cool picture...

Frank, you have it all wrong, I played with Our Lady of Perpetual Motion. Andy, the only percing that I do is with my morning coffee.

Wow! How the heck did I double quote you?

LOL

I dunno ... but it left a mark ...

:inlove:

Frank, you have it all wrong, I played with Our Lady of Perpetual Motion. Andy, the only percing that I do is with my morning coffee.

That's where the "Our Lady of Perpetual Conception" Mothers Club met on Tuesdays, when they could find enough baby-sitters, right?

Harry wasn't there or he would have been in the shot too!! OMG! I can't even begin to tell you how much and hard we laughed that day. There were times I couldn't even breathe, we were laughing so hard!! I believe Frank was off doing actual Drum Corps stuff.... we were doing beer stuff. lmao!!

Oh what a day that was!!!

Would you believe we were loud and obnoxious? I think that's why Donnie Solinger came over and took this pic.

I started buying Fleetwood Records almost as soon as I started marching (in 1960). By the time I hit HS in 1965 they sold them in the record store at the Hempstead Bus Station in Hempstead LINY. For a buck! $1 records back in the "Marching Band" section.

So I grew up listening to the likes of Martin, Swan, Dorritie (him I heard live at the Pit as well) and Harry Hazlewood.

When I was 16 our "Bugle Instructor" - one Robert Bunce - disappeared and was not heard from for months. At that point the Legionnaires turned the horns over to me, which if you think about it now had to be a huge mistake - no 16 year old is ready to take over a horn-line full of his best friends and teach it.

But to make an already wandering story less long, I'm at a LI Circuit show that summer, representing my corps after the show - we didn't have the sort of Bread and Circuses critiques that came along later.

I went to introduce myself to the brass judge, a serious looking young man (older than I, but not all that much - a decade maybe) and read his name tag - Harry Hazlewood.

I know the idea of my being speechless is probably hard for most of you to process, but I sat there stammering. Pretty sure I said "THE Harry Hazlewood?" sorta like "THE Lyndon Johnson?" or "THE Mahatma Ghandi?" Serious guy, but he cracked some part of a smile.

His advice? "Get them to play better."

God knows I tried. Could never get the big buck teethed baritone to play very well though... Lost cause...

• Like 2

OK, I'm ready to make a guess:

Peter, Paul, & Mary?

OK, I'm ready to make a guess:

Peter, Paul, & Mary?

ray you are doing so much typing and really going nowhere but i love to read it. it's like seinfeld. LOL

Ray, I can't believe that I said, "Get them to play better". I don't remember ever being that astute with my comments.......lol. At least I didn't say, "Get them to play MORE better".

• Like 1