been reading and reacting to current news on this thread.....sorrow at the passing of Red Corso, joy that Tony White celebrates a birthday, seeing some very good commentary about how we learned to 'perform' as soloists, etc.....so please indulge this old person's personal experiences.

Frank and Ray have hit the nail on the head with the emulation factor. Look at the soloists names mentioned. All were/are exceptionally talented players. One common attribute of all is that they could literally "make their horns talk". Each of them communicated and emoted thru their music. A benefit to some students of the greats was purely logistic.....e.g. location....location...location. My personal experience being a Philly kid in a drum corps family was a big factor. Having a father who was a fantastic bugler and champion of the activity helped my exposure. The Philly area alone boasted many accomplished solo players....and I could actually sit in front of them to hear what and how they did their playing. Supplementing the 'masters classes' there were the 45's and 33 1/3 recordings of some really great corps and soloists like Princemen (Jimmy 'PooPoo' Murphy, Geneva Appleknockers (Frankie Farr), Garbarina (Harry Hazelwood et ux et al) and many others.....all preFleetwood. Little did I realize in the early 50's that one day I could be on the field competing against them with a corps that had a plethora of fine individual players.

Thanx for reading my ramblings.....eyes are getting tired......so for some who were blessed with an ability to experience first hand, up close and personal, I guess the luck of being in the right place at the right time was a big factor in giving some of us wannabe's an idea or a template to follow. I thank God that I had/have an opportunity to thank the many 'teachers' in my life for sharing their 'soul' with the fans and me

Guido

I happen to have worked with a bunch of kids that patterned their sound after this little Italian guy that was also corps director.

You get - you give back.

You gave back a bunch in your time.

• Like 1

On a lighter note, Happy Birthday to Tony White!

Tony hasn't been around here lately. Hope he's doing well.

I don't know it for a fact, but I'm betting he's devoting a lot of his summer to the New B&W version of the Sunrisers - as well he should.

As well all of us old Sun farts should.

Great to see them back and doing well.

where did everybody go? to reading to see the big bad mighty battle? tsk.

That's a great lineup tonight.... will set the table for Prelims next weekend.

• Like 1

That's a great lineup tonight.... will set the table for Prelims next weekend.

if the bucs can't win their own show than the jig is up.

• Like 1

lol.....well Don, the judges won't be predisposed to 'favor' the guys in Blue.....back in the olden days venue may have been in the minds of the adjudicators, but today and at this level, the corps who brings it to the field tonight in all captions should prevail. My question is how the numbers will shake out for the other corps.

The fans will be in for a treat in Reading.....sorry I have to miss it

Guido

lol.....well Don, the judges won't be predisposed to 'favor' the guys in Blue.....back in the olden days venue may have been in the minds of the adjudicators, but today and at this level, the corps who brings it to the field tonight in all captions should prevail. My question is how the numbers will shake out for the other corps.

The fans will be in for a treat in Reading.....sorry I have to miss it

Guido

well at least for me when we did our home show we shined very bright. we had extra uummpphh. we went in a real high. 

if the bucs can't win their own show than the jig is up.

well when you see the recap, i think one judge pretty much called the show

Where were we?

Has there been anything since the woman with the two guys?

Oh wait...

That might have been something else I was watching on the internet...

never mind...

Ok, it's been a while... so, I'll post it back on top here...

Please Read Before You Post
If you *know* who it is.... please wait a while (not everyone is on here all day or even daily for that matter)
If there have been no Guesses..........Then give a *challenging* hint.
When giving hints on these try to be creative and just dangle the tiniest tidbit. Make people really think / work on it. Then wait it out a while before tossing another tiny vague tidbit...

C'mon we've got to make these last a little longer. PLEASE??

Also, any comments made MUST be made in good taste... this is a fun loving thread... not a revenge match. Please spew your venom elsewhere.
Please submit any questions and / or pics in their full size (preferably JPG format), with full description - names, Corps, Stadium, Year... etc. to:
The *Guess Who* Mailbox
Thanx in advance!

All that said and out of the way..
Left to right one at a time, Guess Who # 526 ?

https://www.flickr.c...in/photostream/

Ok, it's been a while... so, I'll post it back on top here...

Please Read Before You Post

If you *know* who it is.... please wait a while (not everyone is on here all day or even daily for that matter)

If there have been no Guesses..........Then give a *challenging* hint.

When giving hints on these try to be creative and just dangle the tiniest tidbit. Make people really think / work on it. Then wait it out a while before tossing another tiny vague tidbit...

C'mon we've got to make these last a little longer. PLEASE??

Also, any comments made MUST be made in good taste... this is a fun loving thread... not a revenge match. Please spew your venom elsewhere.

Please submit any questions and / or pics in their full size (preferably JPG format), with full description - names, Corps, Stadium, Year... etc. to:

The *Guess Who* Mailbox

Thanx in advance!

All that said and out of the way..

Left to right one at a time, Guess Who # 526 ?

https://www.flickr.c...in/photostream/

did we finish the last one/ sorry i got lost.

i know 2 of these people and maybe the 3rd.