He was with the Hurcs ... he did the "bucket bit" at DCA Finals in 81 at Franklin Field which had artificial turf ... so he mimicked Park's baton toss and "stick" into a bucket of sand ... hilarious ... Pepe portrayed Reginald Van Gleason while with Fitchburg around 1988 ... again ... hilarious ...

:-)

One of the saddest but very inspirational days I can remember was Pepe's funeral in Brooklyn. Fitchburg made the trip and played out in the Street. Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember it being the Halleluiah Chorus. It echoed in that concrete concert hall in an eerily fitting way for a kid from the neighborhood.

You could do a book on Pepe. You wouldn't get half of the good stuff.

• Like 2

One of the saddest but very inspirational days I can remember was Pepe's funeral in Brooklyn. Fitchburg made the trip and played out in the Street. Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember it being the Halleluiah Chorus. It echoed in that concrete concert hall in an eerily fitting way for a kid from the neighborhood.

You could do a book on Pepe. You wouldn't get half of the good stuff.

It was Halleluiah ... and I might remember 3/4 of the good stuff ... we rode for 5 years together to/from Sky and taught two years @ the Torrington Vagabonds, where he told the Director: "... you don't know the baahgahnn yer gettin' here wit the both of us ..."

• Like 3

You probably DO know 3/4 of the good stuff, but you'll still only get 1/2 into the book because the publishers and editors won't believe 1/4 of it.

• Like 3

By the way, if you know 3/4 of the good stuff, I probably know about 1/3. I only got to work with Pepe at Hurcs and Fire-ettes, both pretty late into his illustrious career.

Good times though.

For instance, I got to see how he sublet his apartment in Bridgeport to a bookie when he went out to teach at night.

Today that would be considered creative out-sourcing, or for us airline people, ancillary revenue streams.

• Like 1

By the way, if you know 3/4 of the good stuff, I probably know about 1/3. I only got to work with Pepe at Hurcs and Fire-ettes, both pretty late into his illustrious career.

Good times though.

For instance, I got to see how he sublet his apartment in Bridgeport to a bookie when he went out to teach at night.

Today that would be considered creative out-sourcing, or for us airline people, ancillary revenue streams.

Wow ... Fire-ettes ... You must have worked with Big John Harris

• Like 1

Wow ... Fire-ettes ... You must have worked with Big John Harris

I knew John forever.

The thing I always thought was weird was that John had that condition that eventually took his life, and even with the crazy growth my head was still bigger.

Always made me wonder...

Good guy.

Like so many others, gone way too soon.

• Like 1

Because I can't post anywhere else on DCP without my head exploding,

And because as a sort of Quasi pseudo DCA member corps staff member in 2014 I'm not supposed to write anything on social media that expresses much of anything...

I do just want to offer the following reflection on this weekend's DCA Prelims -

I (myself - not speaking for another living human being, or for that matter animal, vegetable, mineral, or alien life form) wish for the day when at the end of prelims, the big Eastern corps are reunited in finals.

For me that's Cabs, Hurcs, Sky, Sun, Upstate NY (Cru/Brigs/Empire - whichever or all), newcomers Bush (hey - it's only 30 years so far), of course Bucs.

Don't get me wrong - I love and appreciate the work done by MBI, CorpsVets, Gold, Renegades - the list goes on and on, and I don't want anything to happen to them - nor do I want them to be less competitive - if anything I hope they continue on their trajectories getting better and better.

I just want to see the old "Big guys" continue to improve musically and competitively until they earn that spot in the top 10.

I will be one happy old ######## when that day comes.

Anyone wants to get Westshore, Archie, Erie, in there as well, I'm up for that too.

DCA needs these East Coast corps, okay, Northeastern corps.

Not because I say so - because the schedule says so.

And our activity's history hints strongly at it.

OK, climbing down - hope the corps have a great Finals night.

Pour it on there, Hurcs.

• Like 2

if the bucs can't win their own show than the jig is up.

You knew didn't you?

You were just playing us...

Admit it.

I didn't see it coming, but you knew...

You cagey guy...

You knew didn't you?

You were just playing us...

Admit it.

I didn't see it coming, but you knew...

You cagey guy...

ok ray i was wr.............wro..............wron..............wrong.

• Like 1