Our Lady of Czestohowa in Doyelestown, PA never had a drum corps....it's a shrine parish dedicates to the 'black' Madonna......however Sahler Sedan VFW in Coatesville, PA did sponsor one as did Lainge-McCann Post in Brigantine, NJ

Guido hath spake

Our Lady of Czestohowa in Doyelestown, PA never had a drum corps....it's a shrine parish dedicates to the 'black' Madonna......

Guido hath spake

Also had Lech Walesa (Polish Solidarity Movement) there as a speaker in the late 80s. Sister was going to college at Delaware Valley in D-ville at the time and went as a chance to see someone famous. Too bad many of her classmates were out of touch with the real world and didn't have a clue who Walesa was. At least that's one plus of being an older than average student...

• Like 1

"OLC Ramblers":

Actually DID exist. Were from Brooklyn NY (?). Showed up at 1964 Bridgeport World Open Prelims.

There was a mention in a VERY old issue of DCN of a "Corps" called the "Burdett Golden Zippers". Yes, you read that right.

They were supposed to be "Sponsored" by the Burdett Golden Zipper Company.

This "May" have been a precursor to the "Fresno Ferns" phantom.

Happy Halloween to all.

Elphaba

• Like 1

Spamettes were an all women senior corps who did well at Al. Nat's mid 40's. Based out of Austin, Minnesota where Hormel Foods Corp. is headquartered.

They actually did well and came in 2 points behind the mighty Cabs, 1948 Al. Nat's prelims in Miami.

Edited by gsksun4
  • Like 1

Good sleuthing here, folks.

Re "The Fresno Ferns", they were in fact an elaborate hoax. One of the pranksters involved was Mel Stratton (Blue Devils M&M guru, and my brother-in-law).

He and others went so far as to write and submit articles to various drum corps publications regarding their repertoire, instructors, progress, uniforms, appearances...etc. Said press releases were accompanied by photos of alleged members, rehearsal sites, corps hall and other fabrications.

Inquiring about the Gardenias might lead one to Pete China and those in his immediate circle in the '70s. (Actually, to one particular Mid-westerner in his section.)

• Like 1

Where the Spamettes fried with eggs ,or served as a cold sandwich ?

Inquiring about the Gardenias might lead one to Pete China and those in his immediate circle in the '70s. (Actually, to one particular Mid-westerner in his section.)

After an exhausting search, I got nothing cept a town where Frank Caliendo grew up, Les Paul the guitar guru is from there, and somehow, the name Patty comes to mind.

And that last one is a stretch.

Good sleuthing here, folks.

Re "The Fresno Ferns", they were in fact an elaborate hoax. One of the pranksters involved was Mel Stratton (Blue Devils M&M guru, and my brother-in-law).

He and others went so far as to write and submit articles to various drum corps publications regarding their repertoire, instructors, progress, uniforms, appearances...etc. Said press releases were accompanied by photos of alleged members, rehearsal sites, corps hall and other fabrications.

Huh - Mid-Western Mello player in the 70s Sunrisers?

Donna Kelch (LINY); Billy DiPaolo (Brooklyn?); Lenny Haring (Mars);Stan Roche (Uranus); Kay Williams (New Rochelle if I remember correctly);

OK, I'm crapping on out Sun's mellos. I tried - I really did.

Maybe Anne DiGregorio before she switched to soprano?

BTW I know Donna became a terrific sop - I'm just remembering her as a little kid sitting next to me at the corner of baritones and mellophones.

Midwestern mello?

Edited by rayfallon
  • Like 1

The Hormel Girls was a postwar show troupe. They traveled in a fleet of white Chevrolets. During the day, they went door-to-door peddling Hormel products and extolling their virtues. In the evenings they presented a stage revue - singing and dancing and playing various instruments. For their grand finale, they came out as a bugle and drum corps. And yes, they did compete at Nats.

The Ishpeming Blue Notes were formed on Halloween night 1957. They existed as a junior corps for 20 seasons, sharing domination of the U.P. with the Menominee Northernaires. They also won MI state titles, competing against downstate corps. They re-formed as an alumni corps in 1984, and 30 years later are still going strong. They actually marched in one DCM contest, back in the 90s.

I wrote mail-order bugle charts for the Jr. Blue Notes. I also wrote for, instructed, and have performed with the senior corps.

I have also written for two more corps on Frank's list. And I taught Connor Nash in the CR Grenadiers.

• Like 2