Please Read Before You Post

If you *know* who it is.... please wait a while (not everyone is on here all day or even daily for that matter)

If there have been no Guesses..........Then give a *challenging* hint.

When giving hints on these try to be creative and just dangle the tiniest tidbit. Make people really think / work on it. Then wait it out a while before tossing another tiny vague tidbit...

C'mon we've got to make these last a little longer. PLEASE??

Also, any comments made MUST be made in good taste... this is a fun loving thread... not a revenge match. Please spew your venom elsewhere.

Please submit any questions and / or pics in their full size (preferably JPG format), with full description - names, Corps, Stadium, Year... etc. to:

The *Guess Who* Mailbox

Thanx in advance!

All that said and out of the way..

Left to Right, One at a time, Please.... Guess Who # 489 ?

(click on pic to enlarge)

1. (Man on far Left) Johnny "Grass" Urspruch

2. (Man in the middle) Billy Taylor

3. (Man on Right) ?? ??

No.....no...... I can't take it anymore...

I ..... must .....re....veal num...ber...two...

Billy Taylor, brother of Joe, Buddy, and Mary... and one more guy whose name I can't remember... father or Ronnie and Angela... husband of Terri, herself a baritone in the Belles of St Mary's (Gloucester, NJ)

A baritone player in all those PA corps listed above, including the Ridley Park Rangers, and later on the Baltimore Yankee Rebels, Reilly Raiders, and Archer Epler Musketeers.

Funny guy... taken from us way too soon with cancer. You would have to search long and far to find anyone that would say they didn't like Billy.

OK, I feel better... I hated to rob you of that delicious moment of having us hang in the air while we all cry to turn to number 3.

I first encountered #3 at an I & E show during the early 60s. He was playing baritone with the St Kevin's Emerald Knights from Dorchester, MA. Great sound and mastery. He swayed slightly as he played, which at the time I ascribed to a sort of kinetic projection of his music, but I later realized was a beer or two working its way through the system.

In 1969 I caught him with the Yankee Rebels playing the incredible "I've Got a Right To Sing The Blues" solo of the Yankee Rebel's Minstrel Show.

A member of the Buglers' Hall of Fame, and I'm sure many more that I'm unaware of...

#3 was still in the Scarlet Lancers in 1961 playing in their horn quartet ... they were recruited to perform as the Cambridge Caballeros at the 61 VFW Nats in Miami (there's actually video of them performing as Cambridge somewhere) ... I first met him at the Queensmen's I&E show just after he joined St. Kevin's in late 62 ... we "toured" regulary on the I&E circuit in the 60's ... and getting him in shape to perfect that "sway" was quite a trip ...

:innocent:

I don't know his name, but he has hands like Lucca Brazzi.

#3 was still in the Scarlet Lancers in 1961 playing in their horn quartet ... they were recruited to perform as the Cambridge Caballeros at the 61 VFW Nats in Miami (there's actually video of them performing as Cambridge somewhere) ... I first met him at the Queensmen's I&E show just after he joined St. Kevin's in late 62 ... we "toured" regulary on the I&E circuit in the 60's ... and getting him in shape to perfect that "sway" was quite a trip ...

:innocent:/>

Witnessed #3 "sway" right off a stage during an I&E performance. I was about 12 (so around '63). I was amazed that someone who sounded so good could be in that delicate a balance.

The NYC shows that had #3, Ruben Ariola, Mickey McKuen from OLPH, and Pat Tully from OLC were incredible. You could beat one or two of them, but one of those 4 was going to win. The day I beat the whole bunch (#3 was already gone) I enlisted and never looked back. Wasn't going to repeat.

Good times, great taste. Only thing to do in Staten Island during the '60s that didn't involve pigeons, landfills, or organized crime.

Ah c'mon Nanci - we've done everything but submit a DNA sample...

There are people in Wu Lu Mu Chi in the People's Republic of China that have figured out who he is from the clues - can't we name him and go to #3 or would that be a total gaffe?

devil.gif

Witnessed #3 "sway" right off a stage during an I&E performance. I was about 12 (so around '63). I was amazed that someone who sounded so good could be in that delicate a balance.

The NYC shows that had #3, Ruben Ariola, Mickey McKuen from OLPH, and Pat Tully from OLC were incredible. You could beat one or two of them, but one of those 4 was going to win. The day I beat the whole bunch (#3 was already gone) I enlisted and never looked back. Wasn't going to repeat.

Good times, great taste. Only thing to do in Staten Island during the '60s that didn't involve pigeons, landfills, or organized crime.

#3's last year in Junior corps was 65 when he played with Baby John Chalmus and Timmy Campbell in Blessed Sacrament ... then it was off to play for Truman in the Air Force corps ... how Baltimore snagged him I'll never know ... thought he was a shoe-in with Hawthorne due to his squeaky-clean image and low-keyed personality ...

:w00t:/>/>

Edited by ajlisko

#3's last year in Junior corps was 65 when he played with Baby John Chalmus and Timmy Campbell in Blessed Sacrament ... then it was off to play for Truman in the Air Force corps ... how Baltimore snagged him I'll never know ... thought he was a shoe-in with Hawthorne due to his squeaky-clean image and low-keyed personality ...

:w00t:

Andy, are you still selling that oceanfront property in Montana? :tongue:

Andy, are you still selling that oceanfront property in Montana? :tongue:/>

Nevada ... not Montana ... Nevada ... you know ... when California falls into the ocean ... didn't you learn anything from that Superman movie? ... Lex Luthor made TONS of money from those land deals ...

As for #3, I truly enjoyed being with him in Sky's Alumni for several years ... and the stories we tell about those glorious I&E shows (Staten Island included) are only "slightly" embellished!

:whistle:

"Man on the RIGHT!!!!":

I went "To the Right" at the start of this "Outing", so I can't add too much to this "Reveal". I DO know "Who" this guy is, but I won't give it away. (Previous threats of "Liquidation" not withstanding).

He is a Charter Member baritone of the BHOF (Along with bari's Ruben, "Baby John", Bill Hightower, John Simpson, and Cliff Richmond), as well as a recipiant of the DCHOF's "Presidents Award".

I "Believe" that upon his release from USAF active duty he marched with the Reilly Raider-Archer Epler one year merger corps, then migrated to Baltimore to become a "Legend" with Truman Crwaford's Yankee Rebel hornline.

I remember him very well from "Indy" shows at Stratford CT and North NJ. One of THE great "BITD" GD 'Valve-Slide' baritone virtuoso's...

Elphaba

Nevada ... not Montana ... Nevada ... you know ... when California falls into the ocean ... didn't you learn anything from that Superman movie? ... Lex Luthor made TONS of money from those land deals ...

As for #3, I truly enjoyed being with him in Sky's Alumni for several years ... and the stories we tell about those glorious I&E shows (Staten Island included) are only "slightly" embellished!

:whistle:/>

Not me - I was too young to embellish... I didn't even know how to bellish yet...

Oooh he wrote a column in Drum Corps News - Harvey Bellish...