First initial "S"?

Ah ####...

I knew you'd spoil everything!

OK, you do one then!

>>Female, medium height and build, straight spoken, Midwest.

OK, Andy - don't give it away right away...<<

Hmmm ... let's see ... can't say that I was friendly with any of the Midwest girls from Skokie, Royal Airs or Norwood Park ... one real nice encounter with someone from Casper who gave me a tour of her bus ... :wub: ... Hmmm ... does Audubon count as the Midwest? ... or ... the Staten Island Lawmen? ... oi vey ...

:-)

Only Andy could think of Staten Island as the Midwest...

• Like 1

>>Only Andy could think of Staten Island as the Midwest...<<

HEY! ... she was worth it ... you know how long it took a kid from Bridgeport CT to get to SI in 62, 63 or 64? ... man ... the Innis (sp) Street Post I&E show was indeed a challenge ... the Ferry came into play somewhere along the line ... trains and busses and taxis and who know whatever ... hey ... we were young and in the Midwest ... little else mattered ...

• Like 1

Ah ####...

I knew you'd spoil everything!

OK, you do one then!

Hold on there. I just guessed a letter. It could be Laura Schachter, Laureen Smith, Sharon Sarbach, Suzanne Borden, or any number of prominent drum corps babes.

And as far as Staten Island is concerned, at a certain time in the history of drum corps it was the FAR west, as in cowboys (and girls). I mean, after all, they had "Lawmen".

• Like 1

"Planes, Trains,, Automobiles":

Ahhhhhhhhhh,,,, Yes...... The old Staten Island "Individuals". The antics, the performances ("Buzzy" Bergdoll's solo on FH and St Kevin's Horn Quartet immediately comes to mind), the BEER!!!!! Those Legion bartenders really needed THICK glasses to "ID" anyone.

Do any of you old East Coast vets remember the "Drum Quartet" made up of four horn players that got "DQ'D" for their "Rudimental Exibition"? Or the pick up "Mini Corps" from Garfield Cadets, St Raphael's, , St Patrick's and "??????" that played Garfield's old "Intermission Riff" number?

The memories.......

Elphaba

• Like 2

"...Or the pick up "Mini Corps" from Garfield Cadets, St Raphael's, , St Patrick's and "??????" that played Garfield's old "Intermission Riff" number?"

St. Loozee's?

And, who you callin' "old East Coast vets", anyways?

Growing up is forbidden here.

• Like 3

"...Or the pick up "Mini Corps" from Garfield Cadets, St Raphael's, , St Patrick's and "??????" that played Garfield's old "Intermission Riff" number?"

St. Loozee's?

And, who you callin' "old East Coast vets", anyways?

Growing up is forbidden here.

well then i and a whole bunch of others, tom peashey, just ate the forbidden fruit.........LOL

Edited by donincardona

>>

St. Loozee's?<<

Hmmm ... don't think it was Lucy's ... I believe that happened at the 63 or early 64 SI show ... might have been some players from Blue Rock (they used to bring a busload!) or maybe Vasella ... even Kevin's might have jumped in ... Cliff Richmond would know for sure as he was one of the players from St. Raphael's ...

For all I know, SI could have been on the Left Coast ... c'mon we had to take the SI Ferry there! ... no Verrazano Narrows bridge yet! ... and getting down to the foot of Brooklyn at that time was no picnic ... LOL ...

Good memories for those who got to experience the Metropolitan Championships!

• Like 1

>>

St. Loozee's?<<

Hmmm ... don't think it was Lucy's ... I believe that happened at the 63 or early 64 SI show ... might have been some players from Blue Rock (they used to bring a busload!) or maybe Vasella ... even Kevin's might have jumped in ... Cliff Richmond would know for sure as he was one of the players from St. Raphael's ...

For all I know, SI could have been on the Left Coast ... c'mon we had to take the SI Ferry there! ... no Verrazano Narrows bridge yet! ... and getting down to the foot of Brooklyn at that time was no picnic ... LOL ...

Good memories for those who got to experience the Metropolitan Championships!

V-Z was opened in Nov of '63, so it could have been '64 at Cichon Post. BTW, the times HAVE changed quite a bit. Back then, the toll on the bridge was $0.50 each way; now it's $15.00 round trip! I would have thought it was paid for by now?! But then again, over 75% of the tolls today are used for upkeep on MTA, LIRR and Metro North trains. We Islanders continue to be screwed by the powers that be!

• Like 1

From the V-Z history site:

Finally by 1964 the bridge was completed when the concrete road surface was laid. And in November 1964 the bridge was open to the public.

I was pretty sure we took the ferry over more than one year ... we even loaded the bus on it once when we competed in a show there in the summer of 64 ... anyway ... point made ... it costs a LOT to commute to/from SI ...

• Like 1