Tony let us know if the Harrisburg parade becomes a definite. Heaven knows our 3 times a week paper won't cover it that well.

Nice mostly flat parade past the bars (which can get interesting).....

• Like 1

Tony let us know if the Harrisburg parade becomes a definite. Heaven knows our 3 times a week paper won't cover it that well.

Uhhhh...there's bars in Harrisburg? Seriously there was this great joint about 2 blocks from where Westshore would have its indoor show. I can't remember the name I think just about every corp showed up in that place.....good memories.

Edited by Bucbari

Last time Hanover did Harrisburgs St Patricks Day parade we stopped at parade rest near Market Square. Next thing 2 drumk women put their arms around one of our sops while a 3rd got a cell phone pic. In 5 seconds they were gone and we started asking if he got a phone number. His response was a look of "Why me?".

Saw an ex-Westshore member one year and yelled we had openings. Then I saw his wife next to him looking VERY PO'ed and sure it was about the
we have openings".

Last time Hanover did Harrisburgs St Patricks Day parade we stopped at parade rest near Market Square. Next thing 2 drumk women put their arms around one of our sops while a 3rd got a cell phone pic. In 5 seconds they were gone and we started asking if he got a phone number. His response was a look of "Why me?".

Saw an ex-Westshore member one year and yelled we had openings. Then I saw his wife next to him looking VERY PO'ed and sure it was about the

we have openings".

A certain amount of critical recruiting for "inactive due to marriage" alums took place every year at St Patrick Day and Memorial Day Parades - some years all the way to 4th of July.

Nothing stirs the blood of a guy that wants to march like the sound of drums and bugles as Spring arrives.

Used to be good for 1 - 3 horns a year, and occasionally a percussion member.

One of the reasons corps should really take parades seriously, and be ready to look and sound good.

Although I hate parades with a purple passion from all the 5th Ave, NYC parades I had to do starting at the age of 10 or so, I always stressed being ready for parades, including arranging and teaching specialty parade tunes like "Wildwood Days" and "Under the Boardwalk" for Archie (just as an example - there are more if I can think of them - hey - it's 7am).

• Like 1

... A certain amount of critical recruiting for "inactive due to marriage" alums took place every year at St Patrick Day and Memorial Day Parades - some years all the way to 4th of July.

Personally, I always try to make Sky Alumni's Memorial Day gigs ... though I've been a SIDEliner since 2007, I march with them to honor the fallen heroes of my past, your past ... well ... you get the idea ... sometimes I play Air-Horn, sometimes DM, sometimes water boy, sometimes A-Section ... doesn't matter ... I just wear my bb cap, corps shirt or jacket and I'm good to go ... I'm there to support them ... just found out they're doing Flag Day in Hudson NY again, so I'll try and make that as well ...

Point is ... if your Alumni works like mine, show up and you'll be welcomed with open arms ... especially at a parade ...

:-)

• Like 3

Bring Fran up with you as well ...

*IF* Reilly isn't marching the parade in Harrisburg that's a possibility! :thumbs-up:

As soon as we (Reilly) know, I'll let ya know!!

• Like 1

"...I hate parades with a purple passion..."

What a great line! I think most drum corps folks feel that way, especially drummers.

Me, I love a parade. (One of my college profs told me I'd "always fall outside the curve".)

I dig the immediacy and spontaneity of being up close and personal with the "smell of the crowd", as Anthony Newly put it, playing some triple tonguing for folks whose faces I could see, or leaning down to blow a chorus of "Rock-a-bye Your Baby" to an actual baby.

I fully realize this is a sin in some eyes, as is my intense hatred of something considered sacred by many others: Garlic.

All of this must mean something, but the actual significance escapes me.

Bring on St. Paddy's Day.

• Like 1

I dig the immediacy and spontaneity of being up close and personal with the "smell of the crowd", as Anthony Newly put it, playing some triple tonguing for folks whose faces I could see, or leaning down to blow a chorus of "Rock-a-bye Your Baby" to an actual baby.

I've seen you do this a couple of times. There wasn't a baby, a few children and parents though and you put on quite a show. They always loved it.

Born to perform you were.

• Like 1

... I dig the immediacy and spontaneity of being up close and personal with the "smell of the crowd", as Anthony Newly put it, playing some triple tonguing for folks whose faces I could see, or leaning down to blow a chorus of "Rock-a-bye Your Baby" to an actual baby.

Sky's forte in parades also centers around "kids" ... when we stop, we routinely walk to the curb, grab a kid or two, put a shako on their head and horn in their hands and put them in line ... great photo opps for the mom's (who are our secondary points of interest) ... LOL ... while dad is taking the pic, we take over his lawn chair and dip into the cooler ... and, if the crowd is really attentive to us, a polka will break out and mom gets to dance a little ... if the crowd has unusual potential to treat us well, we'll serenade them with an impromptu "face peeling" of Manhattan Towers ... then all the coolers open up ... followed by a visit from the Parade Marshall ...

... parades can be fun when approached properly ...

• Like 1