Okay ... back to the pic ... from the left: first DM is from BS, second is from St. Catherine's, third and fourth (guy/girl) may be from the same corps ... the girl is definitely from Vasella ... not sure if the guy is also ... he may be from Haddon Heights ...

C'mon all you lurkers from the 60's ... CHIME IN!!! ...

:-)

Been wanting to post this since this thread began. Held off because I don't have all the answers, but this could bring back memories for some.

If you can name all the corps, left to right, yer good. Very good.

I know the year, location, but not all the DM's/Corps. Well, I do know at least one. :)

If nothing else, it should lead to some conversation here.

Have at it:

1962%20Mosque01.jpg

Edited by ajlisko

The caption under the pic on the site says Mosque Theater, Newark, 1962. So I guess all these folks are from NJ, PA, NY.

When I first saw this picture, I tried to figure them out but couldn't. Outside the obvious of course.

I must admit that to the right of the guy I'm very sure of, I'm lost. Unless of course that's a Caballero (Exhibition Corps), but he looks too short to be Ralph.

Edited by gsksun4

"Boston Garden Standstill 1962":

Yes, I was there, yes I was still in St Ann's, and the contest MAY have been before the split. I'm not completely sure of that. We MAY have lost some members. I remember staying until after the Legion State contest.

From the pictures Moe Knox put in DCN I can see some of the faces I remember from St Ann's and some of the other kids (The original RL) are not shown. (There is a 1962 picture of RL from the Barnum Parade on the Park City website showing several of former St Anns members)

It was a great night of drum corps, with Cambridge upsetting St Kevin's by one half tenth, and the FABULOUS exhibition by Hawthorne. They absoultly blew the place apart.

Scores:

93.46 Cambridge Caballeros

93.40 St Kevins Emerald Knights

89.70 I.C. Reveries

85.40 St Raphaels Buccaneers

85.20 Holy Trinity Cadets

83.90 St Anns

83.50 Andrews Sabers

74.00 Milford Spartans

Courtesy St Raphaels website

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

Someone please verify that's Audubon at #5.

And if not, who dat?

Yes ... Bon Bons ... then Garfield (Ray Pych) ...

Edited by ajlisko

Someone please verify that's Audubon at #5.

And if not, who dat?

Yes ... Bon Bons ... then Garfield (Ray Pych) ...

Ya gotta give that Garfield guy credit. He looks like he should be the picture in the dictionary next to Drum Major.

While the Selden guy (Artie Greig) looks like he should be the pic next to :"Oh Yeah?, Just Try It!". :)

Okay, since it's down to you and me Glenn (everyone else seems to be silent) ... your Selden guy is next to the Garfield DM ... the next guy is either from Haddon Heights or a third exhibition corps ... the next guy is DM of Loretto and the final two are from Hawthorn (Hugh Mahon?) and Sky (Winky) ...

"Pop Quiz":

Of the corps represented in this picture, which TWO would close their doors at the end of 1962.

Can you name the corps in question and the contest venue that saw their demise....... :shutup:

Toss up question:

What LINY senior corps benefitted greatly from one of those two corps disbandment..... :cool:

Elphaba

WW

Toss up question:

What LINY senior corps benefitted greatly from one of those two corps disbandment..... :cool:

Elphaba

WW

That one is easy. The Sunrisers!!!

The Sasso brothers... Bill Hightower... Bill Cobham... Frank Dorritie... among others.

Without that influx of talent... and the "second talent wave" in 1966 of the Carver Gay Blades folks... Gene Bennett, Uncle Nick and others... I wonder if the Sunrisers ever would have risen to the level of championship contenders in the 1960s, and beyond.

• Like 1

Good question, Fran. Most of us were destined for the Skyliners (myself included), but after Billy and John began teaching the Sunrisers, it was obvious where we would land.

As for the original photo, it shows retreat at the Mosque Theatre Show in '62. There was an un-expected winner that night.

I'll see Billy Cobham tonight after his show at Yoshi's jazz club in Oakland and have him view this. He'll be able to ID these folks by name. After all, he was there that night, in uniform.

• Like 1