"Pop Quiz":

Of the corps represented in this picture, which TWO would close their doors at the end of 1962.

Sadly, Loretto and The Queensmen? Think it was a contest in Union City, NJ. That field with the cement or brick wall around it?

Not sure if Loretto was there that same night though.

The LI senior corps most know. Was Sun the only LI senior corps? Were the Pequa Redmen a senior corps?

As far as reaching a level where the big guns were, Long Island, Brooklyn, Queens and The Bronx had a large talent pool. The NY Kingsmen had people leaving already. The many JR. corps from the LI Circuit had talented people wanting to move up. I know we already had at least 5 Selden guys after a horrible 65 season and demise. Imagine, Queensmen and Selden in the same room? Scary!

Slowly, folks showed up. 67 was OK, but we seemed destined to be a 4th or 5th place corps. I remember the 67 Barnum. Hot as hell. Afternoon, John had us doing company fronts down a slope next to a school somewhere. Simple company fronts. I look down the line and thought, man we suck. Come on guys, we got Hurcs, Sky, Reading and Rebs tonight!

The evening played out as I thought. If only everyone worked and thought we could do it.

After the 67 season, many things changed. People started believing we could do it. Things looked up and people started showing up. Talented guys. Some had to wait for a spot.

Think we had more DMs than 1st. Sops. Even Walter Bunce, Bobs brother. People that wanted to work with a goal in mind. All on the same page.

I wasn't there to see how the late 70's corps came to rise, but something tells me many of the above tools came into play. Maybe different people, but all on the same page.

Imagine that.

Edited by gsksun4
  • Like 1

Sunday September 30, 1962 Union City NJ

Pos Corps Score

1 Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights 88.500

2 Garfield Cadets 87.460

3 Saint Kevin's Emerald Knights 86.540

4 St. Catherine's Queensmen 85.616

5 Our Lady Loretto Knights 83.866

6 Woodsiders 83.000

7 St. Patrick's Cadets 81.200

8 Bracken Cavaliers 80.833

9 St. Lucy's Cadets 80.750

Edited by ajlisko
  • Like 1

Sunday September 30, 1962 Union City NJ

Pos Corps Score

1 Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights 88.500

2 Garfield Cadets 87.460

3 Saint Kevin's Emerald Knights 86.540

4 St. Catherine's Queensmen 85.616

5 Our Lady Loretto Knights 83.866

6 Woodsiders 83.000

7 St. Patrick's Cadets 81.200

8 Bracken Cavaliers 80.833

9 St. Lucy's Cadets 80.750

Amazing how St. Lucy's climbed the ladder after the 62 season.

>>>As for the original photo, it shows retreat at the Mosque Theatre Show in '62. There was an un-expected winner that night.

I'll see Billy Cobham tonight after his show at Yoshi's jazz club in Oakland and have him view this. He'll be able to ID these folks by name. After all, he was there that night, in uniform.<<<

It was a great time in the infancy of 60's Drum Corps ... DCN did so much for a lot of corps by creating venues such as Carnegie Hall, The World Open, standstill competitions list this ... for this young inner-city teen, the Finals in New Haven was like being part of an all-star cast ... I remember it was raining that night and the Queesmen pulled their corps inside their bus and blew their whole show ... I was in awe ... I thought the windows would blowout and the metal railings would melt ... they were magnificent ... I thought for sure they would win, just as they had done as the Mosque show ... those finals were one of the "defining moments" in my drum corps career ...

I wish others who lurk here would add some stories ... about any show of the early 60's ... simply a magical time ...

:-)

I wish others who lurk here would add some stories ... about any show of the early 60's ... simply a magical time ...

Andy, there was an indoor show in Connecticut, winter before the 64 season I believe. I know Garfield was there because we had parking lot trouble with them.

I don't recall much though, like who else was there. Might you or Elphie recall this one? I can't even remember what town.

Edited by gsksun4

I found reference on an old St. Raphael's webpage of a standstill they hosted in 64 at the Klein Memorial in Bridgeport where BS beat Selden ... there was no mention of Garfield at the show ... I can't recall Garfield "mixing it up" with anyone in the 60's ...

I found reference on an old St. Raphael's webpage of a standstill they hosted in 64 at the Klein Memorial in Bridgeport where BS beat Selden ... there was no mention of Garfield at the show ... I can't recall Garfield "mixing it up" with anyone in the 60's ...

Thanks Andy. The thing with Garfield, was bus related after the show. No parking lot physical contact. They were all on their bus and one of our guys got real heated because something was said between the bus windows about beating us. Never really led to anything after during the season.

That's just the way things happened back then. Some corps just didn't get along. I remember 63 Newark Schools Stadium Penn Jersey, we had an issue with St. Lucy's, but come winter, Bunce was teaching them and we'd go to their practice and all was fine.

It's all part of growing up in drum corps I guess.

"Mixing It Up in the Park City":

Remember the Klien standstill all too well. It was the only time St Ann's ever beat the Royal Lancers. Aside from that, I don't recall Garfield being there.

BSGK won, and I believe Selden was runner up.

This was Joe Genero's first year with St Raphael's and they previewed his new show that evening.

Great memories.

Elphaba

"Magic in the 1960's":

1963 was our very first year in completion (Ct Royal Lancers). What was possibly our first "Exposure" to 'World Class' junior and senior drum corps was at the Dream Contest.

We were the "Intermission" corps between the shows. Can you imagine a "First Year" M&M corps at the DREAM, bookended by St Kevin's Emerald Knights and the New York Skyliners. :wow:

Many weak knees in those blue Bermudas...... :shutup:

Mine included.

Over to you Mr Lisko..... :music:

Elphaba

• Like 2

04015r.jpg

Yankee Rebels auditions, circa 1958.

I have no idea who they are or when this was taken, but I'd pay money to see the guy on the left spin that rifle.

If he hasn't been dead for 150 years that is.

Edited by gsksun4