And, unless the photo is reversed, this must not be a US corps, since flag code (remember that?) would prohibit another country's banner to the right of the US colors.

At least, that's how it looks to me.

That's a real good observation. I don't know much about them except for what I've read. The GW photo instantly reminded me of Hamilton YR's, but the actual uniforms are white with red trim. That photo is from 1960, but I have no idea where. They were a very active corps though and won several Canadian titles.

Here's a Moe Knox photo of them, but doesn't say what year:

guelph_royalaires.jpg

Just a tad ironic this pic was taken in Milford, when we just finished with The Shoreliners.

Must be from the 1963 Senior show.

Position Corps Score 1 Connecticut Hurricanes 83.786 2 New York Skyliners 83.386 3 Yankee Rebels 81.490 4 Reading Buccaneers 79.193 5 Archer-Epler Musketeers 78.990 6 Guelph Royalaires 74.810 DIVISION EXH 0 Shoreliners

Edited by gsksun4

I had a Dream there was a drum corps show there ...

Edited by ajlisko
  • Like 1

LOL Guelph memories.... 1976 DCA had a 10 corps Finals but 12 corps on the 3 record set. For some reason instead of having 11th and 12th place corps do an exhibition they were recorded just before Finals.... in concert formation...no audience.. and IIRC less than an hour after they did Prelims (and were tired).

12th Guelph and 11th Westshoremen....

Years later found a recording of RCA Championships the week before.. doing the show... with a crowd... rested and ready to go... man what a difference.

So first professional corps recording I was on was this POS in 1976... ugh.... few other really weird memories but trying to remember the details.

No idea what happened in 1975 as far as recording 11th and 12th, should dig up the CDs.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

That photo is from the 50's. Funny how I can remember a lot of things about that place but not that entrance road. I've been there several times, but never by bus. Always by car and do remember changing into uniform in the parking lot.

In 64, Reilly was under the stands doing elbow exercises at the tap while a group of nuns walked by. The not so happy nuns were were mumbling something about what they were doing so early on a Sunday.

My fondest memory was from 68 and I was making my way up to the top landing right after we performed. A young guy grabbed my sleeve and said, "Man, you guys were great.".

Win lose or draw, that's really what it's all about.

Edited by gsksun4

Amazing how the stadium crowd faces away from the water rather than towards it like most modern-day structures ... guess the sight of Newark was too much for them even back then!

:-)

That photo is from the 50's. Funny how I can remember a lot of things about that place but not that entrance road. I've been there several times, but never by bus. Always by car and do remember changing into uniform in the parking lot.

In 64, Reilly was under the stands doing elbow exercises at the tap while a group of nuns walked by. The not so happy nuns were were mumbling something about what they were doing so early on a Sunday.

My fondest memory was from 68 and I was making my way up to the top landing right after we performed. A young guy grabbed my sleeve and said, "Man, you guys were great.".

Win lose or draw, that's really what it's all about.

• Like 1

Memories:

0289155be5628d2f31e4c517645b43d3.jpg

I was never high enough to view it from that perspective!

Amazing how the stadium crowd faces away from the water rather than towards it like most modern-day structures ... guess the sight of Newark was too much for them even back then!

Also have memories of the Polaski Skyway and a few moments when we almost never made it home.

I was never high enough to view it from that perspective!

Hmmm ... you left that to the drumline - huh?