OMG Could We Have Been So Young?

IMG_0574.jpg

WOW. Bad@ss personified. AMAZING legs!

Marching youth meeting marching youth.

1977 Alberta All Girls stayed in people’s homes in 2 cities in the Netherlands. Many of the homes were those of band members from Netherlands (Holland). It was a great experience for our drum corps to meet other people with the same age and experiences. The hosts were wonderful to us and we enjoyed our stay. I have no photos, just good memories. If you are interested, Michael Boo published some of my 1977 letters to my Mom as 3 articles.

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...c=95296&hl=

Jump to 30 years later, harrold99, from Netherlands, posted some nice photos of 2007 DCE finals on International forum.

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...05018&st=10

Click on Volgende button to select the next picture.

Corps with the name Blue. Hmmm.

1977Blues-4a.jpg

Hackney & Islington Youth Band, also know as “The Blues”, England, 1977.

“The Blues” band performed for Queen Elizabeth II during the 1977 Queen’s Silver Jubilee. The Alberta All Girls did not. However, the Alberta All Girls performed the song Amazing Grace for Pope Paul VI outside of Rome Italy in August of 1977. Regardless, no photos could be published without consent as per Royal and Vatican protocol.

Corps or bands with the name Blue. Youth meeting youth that have a common interest. Candid photos from 30 years ago. Hmmm.

“The Blues” band performed for the Alberta All Girls in the yard of Bramley House, Enfield, England in 1977. It was nice that we were the audience.

1977Blues-1a.jpg

Relaxing and mingling after the performance.

1977Blues-3a.jpg

Some members of “The Blues”. Marching bands and drum corps having fun.

1977Blues-2a.jpg

Too much...."stuff" on their jackets.

Possibly traditional. I have yet to do research on the history of uniforms. Uniforms have truly evolved. These are the last of my photos, simply because I have no more photos. I have enjoyed alot of the forums and in particular, historical drum corps photos. Thanks to all.

Back in the day, this is how we learned our rep. Hy Dreitzer would play it and we would play it back. Section by section - these are the first sopranos - this would be tedious work on Hy's part, it had to be. But he also did an amazing thing - after we'd all learned our parts for a particular piece, he would let us - one by one over the course of the winter to stand in front of the horn line so we could hear the full arrangement it always stunned me how big we sounded - especially for a horn line that was only 28 strong. It was the lush stuff he always designed for the inner voices 2nd and 3rd sopranos, French horns,

Mellophones and of course we had those huge Euphoniums. 8 of those played by the right guys could double the sound of any corps. And none of us we're even 17 yet.

HyWithSopranos.jpg

And I'm still looking for some shots of our Color Guard out of uniform - so to speak.

Puppet

Back in the day, this is how we learned our rep. Hy Dreitzer would play it and we would play it back. Section by section - these are the first sopranos - this would be tedious work on Hy's part, it had to be. But he also did an amazing thing - after we'd all learned our parts for a particular piece, he would let us - one by one over the course of the winter to stand in front of the horn line so we could hear the full arrangement it always stunned me how big we sounded - especially for a horn line that was only 28 strong. It was the lush stuff he always designed for the inner voices 2nd and 3rd sopranos, French horns,

Mellophones and of course we had those huge Euphoniums. 8 of those played by the right guys could double the sound of any corps. And none of us we're even 17 yet.

HyWithSopranos.jpg

And I'm still looking for some shots of our Color Guard out of uniform - so to speak.

Puppet

I see where Bucky Swan got the foot thing from. :P

He taught the same way, and as he showed each group their part his foot would be slamming into the floor to keep time.

HyWithSopranos.jpg

Puppet

Do you have any shots with Keith Warfield, Mark Riley, or Bob Steinhilber???