OMG Could We Have Been So Young?

Excerpts from my 1977 week-at-a-glance (notes in parentheses)…March 12/77 AAG-B (avg. age 12) rehearsal all day; March 13/77 AAG-A (avg. age 16) rehearsal all day; in evening see TOP at a club on Jasper Ave; March 14/77 drive south to Calgary to see TOP again; March 18/77 bought 2 Tower of Power albums; March 25/77 entire A corps travels to Lake Tahoe during spring break to start field show plus AAG winter guard rehearsals with musical selections Streisand’s “Don’t Rain on My Parade” and TOP’s “Ain’t Nothin’ Stoppin’ Us Now” (Stanley Knaub was our visual consultant winter-spring 76-77); March 31/77 travel to Concord; April 2/77 attend Western Regionals colour guard contest…a photo I took of our Mr. Duffy (Mike) conducting horn line warm-ups in Concord, California…

1977-rehearsalspringenhanced-c.jpg

Edited by lindap

…May 15 -19, 1977 Mic Gillette in town; one night he played a gig at Grand Central Station with the Fifth Avenue All Stars…Mic attended a few of our horn line rehearsals to help the sops with their new DEG III’s…he mentioned new album “We Came to Play”…after practice, the Alberta All Girls staff went back to the house; we chatted for a bit and asked Mic to play a little something…he picked up his trumpet and played the opening bars of “You’re Still a Young Man”…awesome memory for me, the sound was sweet…here’s a photo I took of Mic…(in February 2010; someone posted photos of Mic with Seattle Imperials horn line; cool…thanks Mic and Mike, you’re good people)

1977-30-c.jpg

• 1 month later...

He was a bari player in A.K. 72-74, M&M instructor AAG 75, Canadian Royalaires 76+, Seattle Imperials 80ish, V.K. ?, founding member of AWGA BofD 79 (me too), WG instructor/designer for CDN Royalaires 78+, Pacific Blue Open, PacBlue A & Beavers 82+ of NWPA, S.J. Raiders 88+ of CCGC and since 09 a consultant with SCV-WG whom did great in IW @ WGI (guardspeak!?). ‘He’s an actor, writer and solo performer.’(1) We, winter guard instructors, would get together ‘cause we enjoyed each others’ company. My photo of Wayne Harris circa 1979 at the house in Riverdale; thanks for the miles of smiles, Wayne! (1) quote from Santa Clara Vanguard website

1978-wayne-a.jpg

Before we departed for our 10 week tour of Europe in 1977, it was announced to the media that this would be our last tour as a drum corps. We left July 1st and arrived home September 14th after which many of the girls left drum corps. I can’t remember how it happened but by winter we merged the Sr. and Jr. corps (affectionately known as A and B band) and started auditions / rehearsals again. We asked Allan Kristensen to write and teach our drum book. He was one of many wonderful instructors that had taught us. Thanks Allan; photo from 1978 at the house in Riverdale (sorry about the messy house; we were rarely home)

1978-practise3-a.jpg

We went on a drum corps tour of the west coast summer of 1978, final destination Denver before heading home. This was to be our last tour but in the fall of 1978, we auditioned and rehearsed again. In July 1979 there was a parade where 300+ FMMs donned the uniform and marched down our main street one more time. We then said our goodbyes. Those that remained went on tour across the continent to see DCI finals in Birmingham (me too); on to Orlando for a few parades (I played cymbals); then ‘to the beach’. Here’s my photo of Alberta All Girls chillin’ at a Florida beach. 1979 was our final year as a drum corps...however, we remained incorporated…um I’m getting a little bit lonely on this thread…if you have scans, ’twould be nice to post them (OT, respect mother nature; its earth day ;-)

79-aag-beach-c.jpg

Edited by lindap

• 3 weeks later...

He also had a very unique laugh!!

Before we departed for our 10 week tour of Europe in 1977, it was announced to the media that this would be our last tour as a drum corps. We left July 1st and arrived home September 14th after which many of the girls left drum corps. I can’t remember how it happened but by winter we merged the Sr. and Jr. corps (affectionately known as A and B band) and started auditions / rehearsals again. We asked Allan Kristensen to write and teach our drum book. He was one of many wonderful instructors that had taught us. Thanks Allan; photo from 1978 at the house in Riverdale (sorry about the messy house; we were rarely home)

1978-practise3-a.jpg

The lead sop has good posture at parade rest...is that little Joelle Allayne?

I feel older when every time I walk into the bathrooms at St Andrews's. Back in the late 70's they seemed so much larger DOH.

Mic is back with TOP again!

…May 15 -19, 1977 Mic Gillette in town; one night he played a gig at Grand Central Station with the Fifth Avenue All Stars…Mic attended a few of our horn line rehearsals to help the sops with their new DEG III’s…he mentioned new album “We Came to Play”…after practice, the Alberta All Girls staff went back to the house; we chatted for a bit and asked Mic to play a little something…he picked up his trumpet and played the opening bars of “You’re Still a Young Man”…awesome memory for me, the sound was sweet…here’s a photo I took of Mic…(in February 2010; someone posted photos of Mic with Seattle Imperials horn line; cool…thanks Mic and Mike, you’re good people)

1977-30-c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...