OMG Could We Have Been So Young?

Mike, it is always a pleasure reconnecting with prior SCV Cymbal Line Alumni.

Thank you for blazing the trail for my generation and for those currently marching.

You're welcome and thank you for carrying on the tradition and always shifting the paradigm!!!

I cook steaks every year the new kids come to Denver... :worthy:

• 6 months later...

You're welcome and thank you for carrying on the tradition and always shifting the paradigm!!!

I cook steaks every year the new kids come to Denver... :worthy:

I like my steak medium well, thank you very much...um...I'll bring this thread out of a cold, snowy, wintery hibernation.

It was spring break. On March 25, 1977, 3 buses and an orange van left the city. We, the A corps, were on our way to Lake Tahoe. The equipment trailer with the kitchen on wheels in tow, left a day or so before. On March 26 we waited and waited in Dutton, Montana while our kitchen trailer was being repaired. On our way again, dinner at the Husky in Helena, crossed into Idaho at 10 pm, stopped in Jackpot Nevada 6 am, Winnemucca by 1 pm and on to Tahoe to rehearse our winter guard and field show for 3 or 4 days. A photo of some of the guard in Tahoe, Jackie, Lori, Denise, Catherine, Kathy, Karen, Carol.

77-aag-spring2.jpg

Arrived in Concord California by April 1st, got started on our full field show and competed at the Western Regional Color Guard Championships on April 2, 1977. The corps packed and left after the contest while some of the instructional staff stayed. We took the orange van to Portland, Spokane, Banff, stopped to absorb the wonder of the mountains and onwards home.

A photo I took of Lynn, Carol, Lori, Catherine, Connie, Brenda, Chrissy, those that I recognize. We had about 16 flags, no rifles. It was our first time out of the snow, rehearsing in the glorious warm sun. It was shorts weather! Ya! By mid July, this guard was clean. They were an eager to learn guard. Throughout the summer, we continued to add more flag work, a hop skip jump and a dance or two that they quickly adapted to.

77-aag-spring1.jpg

We left on July 1, 1977 for a wonderful 10 week drum corps tour of 13 European countries. I had been a marching instructor since 1971, taught winter/spring, marched summer/fall. A photo, taken in August 77, of myself with coco puffs (yum) and Denise. She wore what we all wore under our uniforms. When our beloved chaperone, Mrs. Barfett, called out in the early am "wakey, wakey, rise and shine, white T shirts and shorts ladies", we knew it was show day.

A little about me. I was shy and unassuming. What did the girls think of me? Excerpts from my 1977 autograph book. '...one of my favourite bum majors (lol) and the shortest one of the lot...one of the most creative instructors and the goofiest drum major I've ever known...' Goofy is good lol. I was 22.12 years old (omg) and the average age of the corps in the summer of 77 was 16.5

A gentle reminder if I may. All former members, staff and volunteers of the 'Alberta All Girls Drum and Bugle Band' are invited to our reunion July 29-30, 2011. There's an orange and white poster with Colleen's contact information in this link http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=72357750076#!/group.php?gid=72357750076&v=photos The deadline is extended to mid July. Pass the word. edit: Colleen with 2 ees:-) On May 17th our facebook disappeared :( sigh, plan B http://albertaallgirls.com/

77-1.jpg

Edited by lindap

• 1 month later...

…May 15 -19, 1977 Mic Gillette in town; one night he played a gig at Grand Central Station with the Fifth Avenue All Stars…Mic attended a few of our horn line rehearsals to help the sops with their new DEG III’s…he mentioned new album “We Came to Play”…after practice, the Alberta All Girls staff went back to the house; we chatted for a bit and asked Mic to play a little something…he picked up his trumpet and played the opening bars of “You’re Still a Young Man”…awesome memory for me, the sound was sweet…here’s a photo I took of Mic…(in February 2010; someone posted photos of Mic with Seattle Imperials horn line; cool…thanks Mic and Mike, you’re good people)

1977-30-c.jpg

Hey! Is that an iPad? These guys were way ahead of their time! Cool! :worthy:

Puppet

That's me in those crazy striped pants! Around 1971... :smile:

MealtimeCadets.jpg

Og my God, I had pants very much like those and I wore a pasily shirt with them

It was the very early iPad...an Etch-a-Sketch. :tongue:

200px-EtchASketch10-23-2004.jpg

Darn! I couldn't find an Etch-A-Sketch image I liked. :lookaround: :lookaround:

Good work, Mike!

Puppet