OMG Could We Have Been So Young?

Excerpts from my travel log. ‘On August 5, 1977 we traveled from Brussels to Nijkerk, performed a parade in Nunspeet after which we had a reception with the town council. We stayed with families in Nijkerk for 3 nights. The days were spent performing in Rotterdam, Haarlem, Zandvoort, a field show in Nijkerk and at a football match in Amsterdam between Barcelona and Liverpool in front of the same number of people as the population of Nijkerk in 77.

On August 7, 1977 we said goodbye to the lovely people of Nijkerk and met families in Ijmuiden where we stayed 2 nights and a day during which we performed at the seaside by Scheveningen and at another soccer game. In the afternoon of August 9, 1977 we performed at the town square and in the municipality hall, we said our goodbyes to the lovely people of Ijmuiden and we went on our way to Bonn.’

Tanya, one of our 6 snare drummers, presented a T shirt to the corps director of Beatrix while at the farewell and thank you celebration in Ijmuiden on August 9, 1977. Our co-director, Mrs. Nagel, said a speech. She announced at all our shows while Pam and I (co-DMs) were media spokespersons after the shows. Pam was also good at cutting hair and I was good with a map. I was a bus driver’s guide; we multitasked alot.

77-netherlands-1-1.jpg

Looks like an Alberta All Girls rehearsal in a gym with an audience, possibly winter or spring of 1973. There were years when the snow wouldn’t start melting until mid-May and first snow flew late October. I spent a lot of time rehearsing drum corps and winter guard in a gym. I found it relaxing to spin in a gym. Good times :smile:

608.jpg

• 1 month later...

"HAWTHORNE CABALLEROS will feature their well-known and controversial timbalis at the Jan. 26 standstill."

From the 10 Jan 1962 DCN.

From Duane C.

Caballeroscontroversialtimbalisfromthe10Jan1962DCNfromDuaneC.jpg

• 1 month later...

That's what I thought, too. Can anyone out there confirm/deny?

Yup ... that's Bobby Hoffman ... got to meet him in the bowels of Carnegie Hall in 1963 at An Evening With The Corps, where he tutored a young timbali player from St. Raphael's ... quite a character ...

:-)

Yup ... that's Bobby Hoffman ... got to meet him in the bowels of Carnegie Hall in 1963 at An Evening With The Corps, where he tutored a young timbali player from St. Raphael's ... quite a character ...

:-)

Thank you :-) Inside Bramley Hall in 1977 with Mike Whitney, Bobby N (the Directors’ son), one of the local kids Bobby befriended and some of our equipment ready for another show.

1977-enfield.jpg

381381_2458621236442_1579492167_32455471_1599049191_n.jpg

Sometimes it's better NOT to know the story behind the picture....

ditto that; this might be 72! The photographer may have been Mr. Biglin or one of our Dads who photographed...thanks uncle z and I mean it genuinely :-) this forum has been a journey.

192.jpg

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNDP9jLuzXU

Edited by lindap