OMG Could We Have Been So Young?

We went on a drum corps tour of the west coast summer of 1978, final destination Denver before heading home. This was to be our last tour but in the fall of 1978, we auditioned and rehearsed again. In July 1979 there was a parade where 300+ FMMs donned the uniform and marched down our main street one more time. We then said our goodbyes. Those that remained went on tour across the continent to see DCI finals in Birmingham (me too); on to Orlando for a few parades (I played cymbals); then 'to the beach'. Here's my photo of Alberta All Girls chillin' at a Florida beach. 1979 was our final year as a drum corps...however, we remained incorporated…um I'm getting a little bit lonely on this thread…if you have scans, 'twould be nice to post them (OT, respect mother nature; its earth day ;-)

Linda, I left after '77 tour however I'm sure it was 1978 when everyone who could play were called together for the K Days parade and band extravaganza which was held at the Edmonton Northlands Coliseum, is that correct? (That's why my signature says 1978, because I did play for that.) We did our show from '77 for the competition at Northlands and we did the fall down at the end. If I'm not mistaken we placed 6th in the competition, but our drumline tied for 1st place with the 1st Canadian Regiment. I recorded that on cassette tape from the tv when it was shown a week later, and still have the tape. Is the picture you posted of the fall down courtesy of Mike Duffy on page 104 from that show in Edmonton? The floor looks like the floor at the Coliseum, and it looks like a judge standing there.

• 2 weeks later...

Linda, I left after '77 tour however I'm sure it was 1978 when everyone who could play were called together for the K Days parade and band extravaganza which was held at the Edmonton Northlands Coliseum, is that correct? (That's why my signature says 1978, because I did play for that.) We did our show from '77 for the competition at Northlands and we did the fall down at the end. If I'm not mistaken we placed 6th in the competition, but our drumline tied for 1st place with the 1st Canadian Regiment. I recorded that on cassette tape from the tv when it was shown a week later, and still have the tape. Is the picture you posted of the fall down courtesy of Mike Duffy on page 104 from that show in Edmonton? The floor looks like the floor at the Coliseum, and it looks like a judge standing there.

Our Extravaganza was in Edmonton Northlands Coliseum in 1978 because Clarke Stadium and the new Commonwealth Stadium was busy preparing for the Commonwealth Games. You are correct. We did the Klondike Days parade with up to 250+, we ran out of uniforms and thanks to you, we (the 1977 corps) performed our last show and tied drums for 1st place at the Coliseum. My 1978 journal has more, for now I`ll post Mike`s photo again. Yes, it was in our hockey arena! Then we went on a west coast tour with a newly combined A and B corps; watched finals in Denver and then drove home in buses we owned :bigsmile:

Fall20Down-from-MD.jpg

Thanks for verifying that Linda, I remember the parade. With all of us I think we were about a block long, just a sea of white coming down the street. I didn't know we ran out of uniforms though, that's amazing isn't it?

I also remember Debbie G was there, I hadn't seen her for a few years but it was my 'job' to teach her the snare parts for the music for the Extravanganza. Don't remember how long we got to practice for it though, a few days anyway. Debbie G was so good, I'd play a few bars, she'd play it right back with me, cleanly, note for note. Our 'A' and 'B' drumline combined was awesome. The whole show was good considering some of us hadn't been around for a while.

That picture you posted is kind of sad for me to see. It's the only picture I've seen of my last performance. I was 19. I wish there had been vcr's in those days to have been able to tape it when it played on tv. Can't imagine doing the fall down now though...I'd never get back up! Hahahaha.

What's also kind of sad is all the history in that building including us being able to perform there, and that it will probably be vacant or demolished one day soon when the new arena is built. I always loved 'Northland's Coliseum/aka Skyreach Centre/aka Rexall Place.' It was new in this picture.

Time has flown.

• 1 month later...

Praesidium, Lionettes and Windsor Guardsmen. c/o Christine E.

LionettesPraesidiumandWindsorGuardsmenstaffphotofromthe27Apr1970SarniaObserverFromtheChristineECollect1.jpg

Lionettes. c/o Christine E.

LionettesgirlspreparephotofromthFreePressSarniaBureaufromChristineE.jpg

Lionettes and Marion Cadets. c/o Christine E.

LionettesandMarionCadetsstaffphotofromthe5Aug1969SarniaObserverFromtheChristineECollection.jpg

1956 St. Vinnie's (my dad is in the back left, looking at the camera, courtesy of osmondpostcadets.com St. Vinnies page [spelled his last name wrong, though :satisfied: ]):

StVinnies1956VFWNatlTrophys.JPG

1956 St. Vinnie's (my dad is in the back left, looking at the camera, courtesy of osmondpostcadets.com St. Vinnies page [spelled his last name wrong, though :satisfied: ]):

StVinnies1956VFWNatlTrophys.JPG

Mickey Petrone (in shorts) behind the trophy in the middle and Danny Raymond Sr. the snare drummer on the right ...

:-)

• 3 weeks later...

"LIONETTES GET NEW INSTRUMENTS

These gals are happy. They are members of the Sarnia Lionettes drum and bugle corps, who this week were issued with brand new 'horns' complete with chrome rotary replacing the slide type on their old ones. The local drum corps purchased a 29- item consignment of soprano, French, baritone, and euphonium varieties. Here, corps commander Jack Mann issues Kathy Keller, her instrument. (Sarnia Observer staff photo.)"

From the Christine E Collection.

LionettesgetnewinstrumentsfromtheSarniaObserverfromtheChristineECollection.jpg