OMG Could We Have Been So Young?

Wow! Greg Brady marched with Blue Rock! What were we thinking? The clothes, the HAIR, the platform shoes! I guess today's kids will say that too, (baggy jeans halfway down their butts, piercings and tattoos.) Still, I loved my suede fringe vest and Quiana shirts.

Edited by A27Lancer

Tell you what though, I wish I had been around the drum corps scene as a kid and had the opportunity to see the Blue Stars guard. (Hoping my memory is serving me right--female guard with short shorts)

Yup... a GREAT guard to watch! b**bs

It's amazing, but going through my archives I can only find a few shots of our Color Guard young women and girls at rehearsals or traveling. I've got one great shot of (and we weren't allowed to admit to this at the time - there was a strict "no fraternization" rule!) my girl friend Joan, but I'm going to save that for later. But here's another shot of the horn line on the practice field. It was like 10 O'clock in the morning the day of a show in Long Island. We always got to shows really early and would find High School football fields to practice the drill.

RUBEN.jpg

Of note: on the right is Ruben Ariola, an extraordinary Baritone player currently in the Bugler's Hall Of Fame.

Puppet

Alberta All Girls were a drum corps in the 1970's and had a 'B band'. When the 'A band' were on their way to Europe in 1977, the 'B band' played for us at City Hall as a send off. Some older sisters got to go to Europe for 10 weeks while the younger sisters stayed home. The following is a photo of 'B band' rehearsal in 1978. Note the young lady in the foreground.

1978-rehearsal2-a.jpg

Toured from Alberta to Birmingham to see DCI and on to Florida in 1979. Note the young lady on the right. She is the horn player in the above photo. I was working and flew to Birmingham and continued with the tour. Even though I was older and instructor/drum major for the 'A band' in 1977, I was always proud of our 'B band'. I stayed with the organization until they closed their doors early 1980 They never toured Europe again.

1978-rehearsal3-a.jpg

Alberta All Girls were a drum corps in the 1970's and had a 'B band'. When the 'A band' were on their way to Europe in 1977, the 'B band' played for us at City Hall as a send off. Some older sisters got to go to Europe for 10 weeks while the younger sisters stayed home. The following is a photo of 'B band' rehearsal in 1978. Note the young lady in the foreground.

1978-rehearsal2-a.jpg

Toured from Alberta to Birmingham to see DCI and on to Florida in 1979. Note the young lady on the right. She is the horn player in the above photo. I was working and flew to Birmingham and continued with the tour. Even though I was older and instructor/drum major for the 'A band' in 1977, I was always proud of our 'B band'. I stayed with the organization until they closed their doors early 1980 They never toured Europe again.

1978-rehearsal3-a.jpg

Who's the blonde in the center? Nice legs! I love women in boots!

Who's the blonde in the center? Nice legs! I love women in boots!

The average age of the A band in 1977 was about 16 1/2 years. The average age of the B band (I'm guessing) would be about 12 - 13 years old. I believe young ladies is the proper term, dear sir.

Tell you what though, I wish I had been around the drum corps scene as a kid and had the opportunity to see the Blue Stars guard. (Hoping my memory is serving me right--female guard with short shorts)

I was just a lad of 12 or 13 marching with a small Minnesota based corps at the time when the Blue Stars guard wore the hot pants. They left quite an impression on me. ^0^ I loved watching the Blue Stars those years!

Incidentally, at the Blue Stars home show this past summer, the honor guard wore the hot pants. Here's a pic:

IMG_0574.jpg

I marched with the Stars during those years. It certainly didn't suck!

The average age of the A band in 1977 was about 16 1/2 years. The average age of the B band (I'm guessing) would be about 12 - 13 years old. I believe young ladies is the proper term, dear sir.

At that time I was that age too