A Stupid Question About Kanstul Baritones

ravedodger

So I just received a Kanstul bari. It has the tune any note feature in the left hand. Is it supposed to have a spring on it? This one doesn't.

Also, if not, should the slide be all the way in?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I just received a Kanstul bari. It has the tune any note feature in the left hand. Is it supposed to have a spring on it? This one doesn't.

I have the Grande Bari 3 valve made by Kanstul and it came from the factory new - No Spring on the tune slide and as far as I know the slide should be all the way in when not in use.

Watch out for the middle valve sticking. I found out that my case was causing the valve to be just a bit out of alignment which somehow made the middle valve stick. I was told this by a reputable horn repair guy. Anyhow, I switched to a nice light soft case for flying and have not had the problem since.

Good Luck with your bari B)

The soprano and mello (I think) have springs, but the baris and euph don't.

Thanks for the info. The reason I asked was because the high brass has always had the springs. This is my first bari, so I was a little confuzzled.

I have on too and was told to keep it out...I have tape on it to keep it that way when playing. Now I am confused, thought it was more in tune with it out. :worthy:

Is it a G Bari?

I have the Grande Bari 3 valve made by Kanstul and it came from the factory new - No Spring on the tune slide and as far as I know the slide should be all the way in when not in use.

Watch out for the middle valve sticking. I found out that my case was causing the valve to be just a bit out of alignment which somehow made the middle valve stick. I was told this by a reputable horn repair guy. Anyhow, I switched to a nice light soft case for flying and have not had the problem since.

Good Luck with your bari B)

Lancers use 3V G Kanstul Baris. Was told Kanstuls are prone to getting dings in the valve casings which make it hard/impossible to get the valve back in. Had the 3rd valve casing worked on last year and valve 1 is getting done this year.

Only tuning slide I can thing of is for the first valve and used by left thumb. I leave mine part way out all the time and only use it when playing 4th line D and first space F (best way I can think to describe it) then it goes all the way in. These are instuctions from our horn instructor. Leaving it in on other notes throws off the tuning. (Try tuning up with it in, the horn instructor looks like this -> :worthy: )

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

The soprano and mello (I think) have springs, but the baris and euph don't.

No spring on the Mello. At least on mine. The whole concept of tune any note, I believe, is that if you tend to be too sharp on a particular note or notes you effectively lengthen the tuning slide to flatten the note. Yinz' Oldpharts (like me) probably know this from playing partial chromatics on the piston/slip slide. Ya need pretty good ears to do this.

Why not call Kanstul and ask them where the slide should be positioned?

As for the valves sticking, I keep telling the kids I see not to put their trumpets down on the right side of the horn, where the 2nd valve tubing is located, because it might cause the valve to stick. They look at me kind of funny until I explain that pressure on that short length of tubing is transmitted to the valve casing and tends to collapse the area where the tubing enters the casing. I also get on their butts about stuffing too much junk in their horn case.