New Junior Corps Forming in West Chester, PA!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy, you better make sure you have Hop's permission to infringe on his territory before you do this.
You don't need his frigging permission !! <**>

I think Scott's comment was tongue in cheek? Not to disparage Hoppy, but if you call and ask his permission you might end up working for him......I kid I kid. Go for it.

Anyway.....there is a drumcorps void in the area now that the Crossmen are gone. Jersey Surf and The Cadets are pretty close, but there is room for more IMO. Check out the post for the Maryland "The Marching Elite" group. They are already gigging as a band and have 12 Sousas! They are converting to a corps as soon as they can get some tubas/contras. The Imperial Sound is off the ground on paper, taking the "build it from the ground up" approach.

I'm looking forward to seeing where this all goes!!!

There is one local corps........that would be CrossmenXtreme Drum & Bugle Corps out of Downingtown. It competed in MCA and DCA last year with an innovative program.

The corps will continue to use 22 members for competitive purposes but will augment brass, percussion and guard for indoor concert and parades.

The next rehearsal is scheduled for 1/6 at Downingtown West High School from Noon to 3:30 in the band room.

This years' competitive program, "Symphony X", is taught and in clean up stages. Drill is set to begin in either January or February.

The corps director is Rebecca Milley, brass caption is Victor Cummings, percussion caption is Gabe Staznik and the arranger is Rick Kane.

Anyone interested is invited to comeout........bring your horn.

JC

I think Scott's comment was tongue in cheek? Not to disparage Hoppy, but if you call and ask his permission you might end up working for him......I kid I kid. Go for it.

Anyway.....there is a drumcorps void in the area now that the Crossmen are gone. Jersey Surf and The Cadets are pretty close, but there is room for more IMO. Check out the post for the Maryland "The Marching Elite" group. They are already gigging as a band and have 12 Sousas! They are converting to a corps as soon as they can get some tubas/contras. The Imperial Sound is off the ground on paper, taking the "build it from the ground up" approach.

I'm looking forward to seeing where this all goes!!!

• 4 weeks later...
The corps director is Rebecca Milley, brass caption is Victor Cummings, percussion caption is Gabe Staznik and the arranger is Rick Kane.

Ah yes, Victor is a great guy, great guy, and the Xtreme Corps is lucky to have him.

I hope that this mission will help to rejuvinate drum corps in the area. Part of the soon-to-be Imperial Youth Arts, Inc. is to help promote and stimulate the growth of drum corps and new ideas as the platform for creative ingenuity and innovation.

• 2 weeks later...
Boy, you better make sure you have Hop's permission to infringe on his territory before you do this.

Since when do drum corps have territorial rights? lol.

:guinesssmilie:

I thought Pennsylvania was a Commonwealth, not a Territory.......??????????? :shutup:

J

Since when do drum corps have territorial rights? lol.

:thumbup:

• 11 months later...

when do you plan to field a corps? next year or so?

And will you enter open class first.....correct?

I don't know how far West Chester is but sounds like a corps i'd try out for!

• 5 months later...

Good Luck with your endeavor - the Eastern PA and DE area deserves a great corps - having given up the Crossmen to Texas. The area is rich in drum corps tradition, with an Archer-Epler organization that goes all the way back to 1932, and the West Chester University provided much of the talent that made up the Reading Bucs incredible level of musicianship back in the day. Plus "Field" has been such a great guard program.

Having said all that, the road is winding and fraught with peril. You will be tested. Hope you make it. It would be a ###### to have another great corps down there, especially now that Surf is solid on the Jersey side and getting stronger all the time.

If it were I (which thank all the gods it's not) the first person I would call for advice would be Dennis DeLucia, right across the river.