Church corps

I was thinking about this the other day...did most corps sponsored by Catholic churches lose their sponsorship before 1975? St. Joe's, St. Kevin's. St. Rita's, etc?

I was thinking about this the other day...did most corps sponsored by Catholic churches lose their sponsorship before 1975? St. Joe's, St. Kevin's. St. Rita's, etc?

Not only did we keep our sponsorship right through the end (1978), we just had a reunion planning meeting at the Our Lady of Peace Annex about a month ago. There are still former members living in Fords who are active in ministry there as well as are part of the local Knights of Columbus Council.

jo

Not only did we keep our sponsorship right through the end (1978), we just had a reunion planning meeting at the Our Lady of Peace Annex about a month ago. There are still former members living in Fords who are active in ministry there as well as are part of the local Knights of Columbus Council.

jo

But what I really was saying that those corps went inactive. Yes there are alumni corps and reunions but how many corps are still sponsored by the churches

But what I really was saying that those corps went inactive. Yes there are alumni corps and reunions but how many corps are still sponsored by the churches

Keith, I'm still not quite sure where you're headed with this, but here's another attempt ...

From my pew, the Church didn't abandon us - we abandoned them.

Were there some corps that lost Church support while still active? Certainly. There's an expectation with sponsorship that the beneficiary of the support will, in some way, stay aligned with the values of the sponsor (or at least not be in conflict with them). When that is no longer the case, the benefactor will pull out of the relationship.

We were also sponsored by the American Legion (and will be having our reunion at their post on November 9th), the VFW, the Elks, a Fire Company, the Woodbridge PBA, and a shopping mall (Woodbridge Center). We would have been lost without them - financially as well as from a credibility standpoint in the community.

jo

Here's why I brought it up....I was in the shower the other day and it hit me...Alot of corps with "St." in their corps name folded/inactive in the 1970's. I was just wondering if the Catholic church made the Churches stop sponsoring the corps due to money. Alot of corps also stopped being sponsored by AL and VFW's due to money too but maybe also because DCI was formed to combat what the AL and VFW were doing.

Not saying there was a conspiracy or anything.

Keith, I'm still not quite sure where you're headed with this, but here's another attempt ...

From my pew, the Church didn't abandon us - we abandoned them.

Were there some corps that lost Church support while still active? Certainly. There's an expectation with sponsorship that the beneficiary of the support will, in some way, stay aligned with the values of the sponsor (or at least not be in conflict with them). When that is no longer the case, the benefactor will pull out of the relationship.

We were also sponsored by the American Legion (and will be having our reunion at their post on November 9th), the VFW, the Elks, a Fire Company, the Woodbridge PBA, and a shopping mall (Woodbridge Center). We would have been lost without them - financially as well as from a credibility standpoint in the community.

jo

Here's why I brought it up....I was in the shower the other day and it hit me...Alot of corps with "St." in their corps name folded/inactive in the 1970's. I was just wondering if the Catholic church made the Churches stop sponsoring the corps due to money. Alot of corps also stopped being sponsored by AL and VFW's due to money too but maybe also because DCI was formed to combat what the AL and VFW were doing.

Not saying there was a conspiracy or anything.

I think it was more a factor of the times - there was nothing (that I'm aware of, anyway) at a diocesan, USCCB, or global level that called for parishes to drop sponsorships.

jo

Short answer...yes...

Some in NJ...

Holy Name, of course :)

Newark....

Blessed Sac

St Lucy's

St Martin's

St Joe's

A few others...

St Andrews

St Joe's of Batavia

OLPH Ridgemen

OLC Ramblers

St Roccos

Also in NJ, South

Belles of St. Mary's, Gloucester

Royaleer Mounties (Christ the King), Haddonfield

Edited by beagus

Resulting from an inquiry I put on on DCP a couple weeks ago, there are three Fanfare columns on DCI.org scheduled for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday on church-sponsored corps.

I think, Mike that many Roman Catholic Church sponsored corps out grew their parishes.

As I said in another thread, we were asked to leave St. Joseph because too many of the corps members were from outside of the neighborhood.

I may have misspoke in that earlier post about why "St. Rita's Brassmen" became simply "The Brassmen" after '72 - my age out year. I have since heard that Father Schiraldi was sent to another parish and the new Monsignor was not - let us say - 'as dedicated' to drum corps.

The corps I remember from the Tri State Area of New York City: (and I'm sure there were more)

St. Rocco's

St. Catherine's os Sienna Queensmen

Our Lady of Loretta

Our Lady Of Perpetual Health Ridgemen

Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights

The OLC Ramblers

St. Lucy's Cadets

St. Joseph's of Batavia

Saint Kevin's Emerald Knights.

Puppet

Edited by Puppet