Flying to camps?

when I was flying from New York to California, I flew Jetblue for about $200 roundtrip...don't know what its like now.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was going to Scouts camps I always flew Southwest from Nashville to Chicago. Pretty cheap flights, but they're more expensive the direction I'm going this time around. I'll be flying from Nashville to Philadelphia, so you can probably guess what camps I'm going to. I've been looking, and the cheapest flights I've found have been from Northwest airlines. (oh yeah if you know any cheaper let me know). However, they're non-refundable.

Here's my dilemma. I was just about to book my flight and I realized this. My college band has to play at all home games, and missing one is not an option. I'm almost certain most of our playoff games will not be at home since we just lost, but I can't be sure. So the problem is the possibility of rescheduling flights. Northwest happens to charge 100 friggin bucks to reschedule/cancel a flight. That's pretty lame, and I can't afford to wait until just a few weeks before camp to book my flight, or to pay 100 bucks to reschedule.

So, if you have some flying experience, who is relatively cheap and doesn't charge an arm and a leg to reschedule?

Also, just for anybody else who needs some airline info, drop some input on the best airlines.

Orbitz shows $132 flights, plus tax = $173 for that weekend from Nashville to Philly, but that is Northwest which you seem to know about.

I am surprised US Airways is not at the top of the list, as Philly is one of their hubs...my daughter just about always flys them back and forth from college in NC.

I find that using a travel agency site usually works well. It lists a bunch of flights from different airlines. Try travelocity or priceline. I personally use travelocity most of the time, but check around; you may be able to find flights that are cheaper. I've heard of people having bad experiences with Orbitz, though.

Really? I use Orbitz all the time and have never had a problem, including flying to Rome this past February. I always book through them for my daughter's flights to and from college...just booked a flight for my son last night.

To date (knocking on wood)...no problems.

as some people have kinda mentioned, you wanna go with a carrier that has a hub near your departure and/or your arrival city and if you have plenty of camps to fly to, you wanna stick to that airline booking through the airlines website directly and not through 3rd parties. You'll accumulate miles and rewards pretty fast and will probably end up with at least 1 free ticket before your last camp. If you're lucky you may hit elite or exec premiere type status with the airline which usually leads to free upgrades, it made my trips a heck of a lot better.

I flew delta to all of my Southwind camps in 03 and GLASSMEN camps in 04. Make sure you sign up for their frequent flyer program. It costs nothing, and you'll definitely get at least one free flight out of the deal.

Ding! by Southwest. If you know you are going to be traveling somewhere every month, that is a great way to do it!

Who in the world did UNA lose to? :rock:

If you were going to Northern Illinois, I wouldn't mind meeting up with you and splitting gas money as I hail from bama as well, but since you aren't...