With Tremendous Sorrow.

On behalf on the Northstar Youth Organization and the Dutch Boy Drum Corps, please pass on our most heart felt condolences to Paul's family and the SCV family.

You are all in out thoughts and prayers.

Rest in peace our drum corps brother.

:angel:

Edited by ODBC

In 1970, the cymbal line was told to go off and come up with a visual idea to do as they marched backfield on the 50 during "If I Were a Rich Man," unheard of at the time, and in 1971 the same section was messing around and came up with a cheerleader-inspired thing for the final fanfare of the show, which we did at practice one day and were mortified to hear Fred call out "Cymbals, leave it in!"

Tom Eschenfelder

Santa Clara Vanguard, 70-73

Instructor: Liberty Belles 1970, San Jose Rebels 1971-2, Rebel Kadets 74-75

Director, Vanguard "B" Drum & Bugle Corps: 1980-86

What a great story. I can imagine sitting in the stands beside him and knowing how amused he would have been after seeing it for the first time and understood his direction to leave it in.

Edited by O.P.

In 1970, the cymbal line was told to go off and come up with a visual idea to do as they marched backfield on the 50 during "If I Were a Rich Man," unheard of at the time, and in 1971 the same section was messing around and came up with a cheerleader-inspired thing for the final fanfare of the show, which we did at practice one day and were mortified to hear Fred call out "Cymbals, leave it in!" Perhaps not unusual for the one-or-two instructors per section days of the 60's and 70's, but welcoming nonetheless. And the start of the today's amazing Vanguard Cymbal sections.

Tom Eschenfelder

Santa Clara Vanguard, 70-73

Instructor: Liberty Belles 1970, San Jose Rebels 1971-2, Rebel Kadets 74-75

Director, Vanguard "B" Drum & Bugle Corps: 1980-86

I was so in awe of you guys and prayed one day I could even come close to what you guys did. I remember in '71 in particular watching the cymbal line go over their drill over and over again, while the rest of the corps was on lunch. When I was chosen to play 26"er's in 74 I hoped I could live up to the legacy that Dale and Gary had set before me....to be one bad a##ed plate banger. I remember the thrill I felt when Dale showed up to one of those between the building run throughs at Jefferson and when he saw my 5' 11" , 150# frame swinging those things up, gave me a respectful nod of approval. I had made it, in my mind anyway.

Thank you Tom for setting the bar high and giving those of us who followed something to live up too. :ph34r:

Thanks, Mike. We had no idea.... we were just enjoying ourselves doing wierd things with our cymbals. Who knew what we (and that's you, too...) were starting? By the way, I think the first cymbal thing SC did was a series of sequential fans in Chester (the color pre) in 1969, created by Mike Munoz (which we also did in 1970). The line that year (1969) had Mike Munoz, Gary Siebert, Jimmy Amador and , I think, Curt Peterson. In '70 the cymbals practiced on the side of the Jefferson Youth Center and we watched our reflection in the windows...

Edited by esch

• 13 years later...

Tom Eschenfelder.  

OH my dear Tom, don't know if you remember me, Nan Hockaday.  I was in the Liberty Belles when you and Paul came in to coach us.  Paul and I began a relationship when I was 13 that lasted throughout my high school years.  You dated Theresa, lol.  He was my first love, literally.  I am so sorry to hear of his passing, I've always wondered.  We kept in touch during my college years, but eventually lost touch.  I so enjoyed our times together, and going to your shows, LOL I was a snare drum for the Liberty Belles, as was Theresa, you guys were so cool teaching us.  Connover, wow that brings memories back.  Oh, Tom if you are still out there, I would love to hear from you.  Hockadayn@yahoo.com.  

I'll never forget my days with the Santa Clara Vanguard, though as an onlooker and going to Paul's practices.  (which, we got scolded for as Paul couldn't focus, lol)  Can't remember his name the drumline leader...but he used to go  "digga digga digga"

I do remember going to Saratoga High School when you were playing drums and did the Carpenters song...Close to You... Paul and I were in the audience.

Dear Tom, if you are out there, find me...

Nan Hockaday