Trivia Question

St. Rita's Brassmen is the corps :w00t: . Our director did not believe in DCI's philosophy :tongue: . Plus our credo was winning not just showing up to make finals.

• 4 weeks later...
St. Rita's Brassmen is the corps :ph34r: . Our director did not believe in DCI's philosophy :satisfied: . Plus our credo was winning not just showing up to make finals.

Jim - I'm so sorry I wasn't still there in '73.

I certainly remember the Polish Falcons who had also come along way in a short time.

But let me share this with whomever doubts that DCI or no DCI, The Brassmen had crested that year.

Upset1973.jpg

Garfield was where?

Puppet

....But let me share this with whomever doubts that DCI or no DCI, The Brassmen had crested that year......Puppet

I remember that like it was yesterday, it was my first field show marching with 27th. While the scores were announced that the Brassmen won, it was challenged by George Bonfiglio, and I am not sure it was well publicized. I recall their victory was overturned. My recollection was the penalty was not part of the DCI scoring format.

I do know, our show was NOT finished, even though we marched and played to the end. And we did improve considerably.

I was always confused about the Brassmen - perhaps the CMCC Warriors as well. Those two corps would go out, be tough competitors, perform well and knock off corps. But when it came time to go to the "open" shows, especially the DCI prelims, they never travelled. I could never understand that philosophy - it almost bordered on being selfish by the directors. My opinion is - if you've got the kids and they have the ambition, and you have already proven you are competitive - then why not put it all on the line and finish the season on a high note? I would think it would help with recruiting as well.

I remember that like it was yesterday, it was my first field show marching with 27th. While the scores were announced that the Brassmen won, it was challenged by George Bonfiglio, and I am not sure it was well publicized. I recall their victory was overturned. My recollection was the penalty was not part of the DCI scoring format.

I do know, our show was NOT finished, even though we marched and played to the end. And we did improve considerably.

I was always confused about the Brassmen - perhaps the CMCC Warriors as well. Those two corps would go out, be tough competitors, perform well and knock off corps. But when it came time to go to the "open" shows, especially the DCI prelims, they never travelled. I could never understand that philosophy - it almost bordered on being selfish by the directors. My opinion is - if you've got the kids and they have the ambition, and you have already proven you are competitive - then why not put it all on the line and finish the season on a high note? I would think it would help with recruiting as well.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I aged out in 1972. But I do recall that our Director, Carmen Cluna was at odds with the people of DCI as to the direction they wanted to go. He didn't see Drum Corps as a way for some over seeing body to make money off a young people's activity. He foresaw the time when Drum Corps would be populated by the wealthy kids and not the inner city youngsters of Corps like St. Rita's Brassmen.

What do you know - he was right!

Puppet

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I aged out in 1972. But I do recall that our Director, Carmen Cluna was at odds with the people of DCI as to the direction they wanted to go. He didn't see Drum Corps as a way for some over seeing body to make money off a young people's activity. He foresaw the time when Drum Corps would be populated by the wealthy kids and not the inner city youngsters of Corps like St. Rita's Brassmen.

What do you know - he was right!

Puppet

Yo brother.....I think Carmen was right to a small degree. Although it does cost kids perhaps thousands of dollars to participate in the upper echelon (no pun there....) of the top 25 DCI corps, there are still corps that survive with a smaller tour schedule and that allow kids to work during the summer.

I do lament the decline of corps at all levels. But you and I both know the amount of time - and $$$$ - it takes to keep a corps flourishing. Oh yea, and you need kids that are committed.

If we look at sports - the colleges and $$$ that is apportioned for it - it a very sad statement. Both of my sons did the AAU basketball thing, albeit they never travelled more than 100 miles for a tourney - and they played only one season of the AAU circuit. Today - the same kids that could "not" afford the DCI thing, are spending thousands in the hopes of getting a scholarship, or, they are getting "freebies" like uniforms and sneakers from local corporate sponsors - even Nike. The odds of them getting an athletic scholarship are so much smaller.

The best bang for the buck is for our young people to invest in the drum corps experience. They will really learn how to manage their life while on tour, be accountable to themselves and the fellow corps members, and really get an understanding of what team work represents.

I cheated. I checked corpsreps. I racked my brain as along as I could though. They were very good. I saw them somewhere in 73' or 74', but it's not on corpsreps. I'm too old and can't remember. They almost made finals in 74' missing by 2.5 points. Very good question.

I remember Polish Falcons in 1974 rehearsing on a nearby field probably at Lowell, MA DCI East prelims (thanks to corpsreps.com for the memory refresher). What I recall is razor sharp execution and a solid horn line. They certainly caught our (Purple Lancers') attention as another force to contend with. That was the neat thing about 1974. There were so many different solid corps and on any given night wild things could happen. And of course there was the tick system...

Edited by Geneva