Phantom Regiment show choices...

"Old" or "New?"  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer Phantom Regiment's trend of repeating previously performed works, or would you prefer 'new' selections?

• Repeats, a la Pagliacci, Spartacus, Scythtian Suite, 2nd year repeats (90/91, 93/94)
    • New selections never performed by the corps
    • Some other option explained below

Well, luckily for me, he didn't say anything about storytelling being taken one step further. He said it was "the very show that started the revolution of telling stories and having themes in drum corps shows".

All I was saying is that a decade earlier, both Madison and the Cavaliers had themed shows, in Alice in Wonderland and the Circus Show.

Actually, the Cavies had 1/2 a themed Circus show in 71. :)

Garfield had a total themed show in 71 as well...The Revolutionary War..

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't say that it was the first show in the world to have a story or theme, to do so would be asinine. However, the frequency of shows that used a story/theme grew significantly in the 80's. The Spartacus shows were probably the most in depth any corps had been to that point. As the season progressed, the audience had a hard time understanding what was going on, hence the librettos. They went out on a limb unlike any other had before and after a couple years people picked up on it... and voila, modern themed drum corps shows started happening every single year.
Also.. not that this is a very valid point.. the Spartacus shows are the first ones on corpsreps.com to have a "title", "theme", or whatever you'd like to call it in red.

That's corpsreps doing. Garfield's 71 show was titled America the Brave – 1776

And, we passed out a libretto a decade prior to Regiment...read about that show here, along with the full libretto.

1971 Cadets of Garfield

Here is a pic of our Peace Sign in 71....to Battle Hymn....

PeacesignBattleHymn.jpg

That's corpsreps doing. Garfield's 71 show was titled America the Brave – 1776

And, we passed out a libretto a decade prior to Regiment...read about that show here, along with the full libretto.

1971 Cadets of Garfield

Here is a pic of our Peace Sign in 71....to Battle Hymn....

PeacesignBattleHymn.jpg

well, that is awesome.. didn't know that.

maybe the idea just needed a couple kicks in the rear to get it goin'.

I didn't say that it was the first show in the world to have a story or theme, to do so would be asinine. However, the frequency of shows that used a story/theme grew significantly in the 80's. The Spartacus shows were probably the most in depth any corps had been to that point. As the season progressed, the audience had a hard time understanding what was going on, hence the librettos. They went out on a limb unlike any other had before and after a couple years people picked up on it... and voila, modern themed drum corps shows started happening every single year.

Also.. not that this is a very valid point.. the Spartacus shows are the first ones on corpsreps.com to have a "title", "theme", or whatever you'd like to call it in red.

Berlioz is pretty widely recognized as having written the first 'program' symphony in Symphonie Fantastique...stoned out whack that it entailed. Premiered in 1830.

Yet Beethoven's 6th Symphony, the Pastorale, was Beethoven's early version of what would become known as a program symphony and premiered in 1808...same concert as the 5th, actually!

I've always heard about PR's 'programs' in Spartacus as the 'first' DCI program...though I'm not an unbiased source.

And sutasaurus...speculation is a wonderful thing...and so is your continued participation in pointless threads. :)

Berlioz is pretty widely recognized as having written the first 'program' symphony in Symphonie Fantastique...stoned out whack that it entailed. Premiered in 1830.

Yet Beethoven's 6th Symphony, the Pastorale, was Beethoven's early version of what would become known as a program symphony and premiered in 1808...same concert as the 5th, actually!

I've always heard about PR's 'programs' in Spartacus as the 'first' DCI program...though I'm not an unbiased source.

And sutasaurus...speculation is a wonderful thing...and so is your continued participation in pointless threads. :)

Right back atcha Silvertrombone B) May you have a great big helping of Van De Roost's Spartacus for desert tomorrow. b**bs b**bs b**bs

Right back atcha Silvertrombone B) May you have a great big helping of Van De Roost's Spartacus for desert tomorrow. b**bs b**bs b**bs

Well, just remember that I was among the first to call the 'Faust' effect for 'Spartacus'! When it happens, you saw it here first! Or second...or so.

See the post just above yours! :P

Though as you said 'DCI' you may be right...the post above is about 1971.

Yeah, I noticed the date in that conversation. That stood out. My reference to PR is simply due to my following that corps. Had I seen Cavies first, maybe I'd be raving about 71 with Jayzer. :)