Orange Bowl Memories

Too bad Gail Royer didn't have Boston...or SCV... with him when he was mugged outside the stadium.

"What a dump."

Garry in Vegas

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I remember most is the heat & humidity. During the parade on Saturday, I saw a bank sign reading 100 degrees at 10:05 am. That is burned into my memory.

As far as the Orange Bowl, I remember the weird field. To provide a better view of the performances, the field was move closer to the stands. The front 10-15 feet of the competition field was Astroturf while the rest of the field was grass. Had to be aware of the seam where the carpet met the grass.

For years I watched football games in the Orange Bowl on tv and it was a beautiful place. They even had a Flipper in a pool there for a while. My first drive through Miami, I just had to go by the Orange Bowl. Very bad neighborhood and an old rusted stadium to boot. It also looks smaller than on tv. At least the views from the blimp. Heh.

After a wonderful DCI championship we stayed at a hotel in North Miami. We swam in the ocean at 4 a.m. until we found out from the locals that the sharks like to feed at that time. The next night we stayed by the pool and a guy from New York City said he has been following a tortoise for a while that laid her eggs and they were hatching that night. The babies were crawling to the lights of the parking lot and not the ocean sunrise and asked if we could help. We did. We picked up these little turtles in buckets as she laid about 100 eggs and coaxed them to the ocean in the wee hours of the morning.

Ah, it took a while, but I knew I had at least a couple of shots of that Miami trip in 1970.

This is the Marco Polo Hotel right on Collins Avenue in swank Miami Beach.

MarcoPoloHotel.jpg

And oh, yeah, check out the little American flag on the car in the foreground.

And, of course the opulent interior that us bad boys from New York didn't really know how to act in.

MarcoPoloInterior.jpg

I don' t know who that is with the smoke, but there's Sully from the rifle section, Mike from the Mellophone line and Mario soprano chillin in the AC.

Puppet

Edited by Puppet

Ah, it took a while, but I knew I had at least a couple of shots of that Miami trip in 1970.

Puppet

I don't remember then name of our hotel, but it was REAL nice too. I think I already posted someplace how our horn line used to hold music rehearsals in the ocean to keep cool.

MarcoPoloHotel.jpg

Kilties were in another classic Miami Beach hotel in 1970 that looked like this---I think it was called the Hotel Fontainebleu.

Kilties at 1970 finals, end of Chattanooga Choo Choo. RobH and I are in there...

kilties700002.jpg

The heat, the humidity, the daily rainstorm, Gail Royer getting mugged in the parking lot, and the only year of my 3 we did not drop a place between prelims and finals. Really really long bus ride home to Sac.

Puppet,

FWIW, here is a current pic of the Marco Polo Resort Hotel. Its in Sunny Isles Beach in North Miami, fairly close to where I live.

11749_b1.jpg