Bass Drum Sizes

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking into a new set of drums for my HS line (soon). What sizes are some of the World Class lines using?

A little off topic I know, but thanks in advance!

There are a few different configurations, depending on the line / instructor

Most lines I think use 16, 18, 22, 26, 30 or 16, 18, 20, 24, 28...but I've never gone into the lot with a measuring tape. :P

Either way, to get the sound of the top lines, you want less separation up top (1-2-3) and more separation in the bottom (3-4-5).

There are a few different configurations, depending on the line / instructor

Most lines I think use 16, 18, 22, 26, 30 or 16, 18, 20, 24, 28...but I've never gone into the lot with a measuring tape. :P

I thought most D1's had moved away from 16's. IMO they don't carry as well. But I've never done the measuring tape thing either. Just sayin'. :bluedevil:

Looking into a new set of drums for my HS line (soon). What sizes are some of the World Class lines using?

A little off topic I know, but thanks in advance!

Ok, here's a very different view since it's off topic anyway..................

More depends on exactly what you want from your bass line and the talent level.

Since I don't do many "runs" on the line I tend to like more of a bottom sound with a little less dead ringer than most. I tend to go more for the 80'-early90's sound where you can hear the pitch a little more clearly. I do keep some smaller basses just in case I have really small kids.

If you are competitive, by all means do what you think the judges want to hear.

I have 18 / 20 / 22 / 24 / 28 / 30, but I only march 4 basses. ( 5 when I'm breaking in a new kid and tune the drum as much as possible to the drum that he will play when the other kids moves up the line.)

When you do 6 mile Mardi Gras parades like I do, I use the smaller 4 for parades but the largest 4 for the rest of the year. I do the same thing with toms. The quads 8/10/12/13 for football but believe it or not, the old 14 / 16 / 18 tim toms are lighter ( so say the kids ) for parades and gives us a little more bottom during the street beat so that people actualluy hear us coming. And lets face it, the crowd at a Mardi Gras parade are not looking for super clean, perfectly tuned drums to go with their beer. Thay just want a loud groove to move to.

It all depends on what YOU want and every director has different views.

I just happen to be old school and like to HEAR some thunder, and I'm teaching at a small school where we have to move kids around alot.

If you're going competive, forget your feelings and wants and make sure to follow the sheep :ramd:

well, for a high school.. i'd stay away from a 32, unless your town is made up of oxen.

Even a 30 is pretty heavy for a youngster (or as I found out in the Scouts Alumni Corps pretty heavy for a 51 year old too).

Most HS bass lines tend to put the new guy (i.e. a freshman)on the biggest bass.

Because of this I think 28 is most appropriate for a HS line.