A rich kid's sport

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Six Sigma is so early 2000. Yeah, maybe DCI could go for ISO9002 certification at the same time!

Come on now...it's an affiliation of corps directors with a hired staff to manage day-to-day operations.

Dont forget about RoHS compliance...better make sure those parts in the synthesizer arent bad for the environment (nevermind a synthesizer being bad for activity) :blink:

If you aren't willing to work for / spend / fund $4000 for corps, then you will not march because it isn't in your interests to do so.

Obviously, you are offended by what I have said, and you are right, you do not need to justify anything. However, I will keep my opinion until I learn more about the reasons for not marching.

Hello,

After reading several of your..."Opinions"...here is a good example for you.

I age out this coming summer. I have been exposed to the activity since I was 5 years old. My family is full of musicians and the like, had a lot of friends that marched etc.

My parents growing up, had 4 kids, and were never good with money. They still are not, and that was always something out of my control. Ive tried to find the money for the last 6 years to march. Every time I have come up short. I sent countless letters to Doctors, Lawyers, Businesses, friends, family, and anything else I can think of. I never was left with enough.

Due to many reasons ever since I was able to start working (15ish) , I had to help support my family finacially. I have 2 jobs, and only 1 of my 3 siblings are helping along with me, keep my parents off the street. I was however, able to march in Music City Mystique the last 5 years. (Independent World Class Drumline since '95) At this point, the dream ive had of marching Corps is something Im physically doing every thing I can to make happen.

Its going to cost me $5,000 to get this done. But when you have house payments, long time building debt, typical bills, ROUND TRIP tickets once a month from November-February, Camp fees, Food for living, Tour Fees, and Gas money while working, 5,000 is one of the most daunting financial figures I can imagine.

I am planning on selling my car, selling what ever belongings can be sold, and willing to leave my family in a slightly worse position for my 11 minuets at finals. From what I understand, you do not have a concept of just HOW FAR some are willing to go to march, but just CANNOT make that descision.

Get any penny you can for a chance to march, audition, risk getting cut AFTER you spent the money, and be left out on the street. For many people in the States, thats the reality whether you choose to or not.

I can live off of $5,000 for almost a year, no joke. And I know this is a lot of rambling, but you need to get it in your head that most American's view $5,000 as an unbelivable ammount of money.

"Then its not in your best interest to march."

My rebuttle to the fact that you think in absolutes is the following:

What kind of a dream is it, if you aren't willing to truly sacrifice every single thing to get it?

Im willing to be left homeless to march my age out, and to end an amazing performance career with something Ive wanted since childhood. And I have an idea that Ill have a completely different experience standing at retreat than a few others.

I hope that was a good example for you.

In response to some of the earlier posts about more regionalized corps, I don't think that I would enjoy that. One of the major draws for me is the chance to go somewhere and perform with the best from across the nation, as well as the opportunity to spend my summer traveling. Unless localized corps were pretty close(within 1 hour driving distance), I wouldn't be able to participate, anyway. As MikeD posted earlier, I have high school marching band for that kind of thing.

I had a lot of fun in my high school band, but I want to be in drum corps for the competitive atmosphere and the high level of performance.

I am agreeing with you in very small ways, and trying to explain why people just have to give up.

Some people bust their backs for sponsorships, get a few, and are still missing a LOT of money.

Its one of the reasons I cant get into college yet. I get all these grants and bonuses because im broke, with a government loan that is limited to a certain ammount because its my first year, I still have about $3-4,000 Im accountable for, but without credit for another loan, you dont go to school. Because you have no other choice, when you cant get a good paying job without a degree or networking, and dont have credit because you are so young.

Edited by Cuban

Are you agreeing with me? What I have said pretty much goes with your story. If you really want to march, you will find ways to do it.

I am sorry to hear about that situation though, but I hope everything works out for you.

No, he's not agreeing with you...he's saying your oversimplifying the predicament of the rising cost of "the drum corps experience" to almost self-righteous proportions...

Edited by shostahoosier

No, he's not agreeing with you...he's saying your oversimplifying the predicament of the rising cost of "the drum corps experience" to almost self-righteous proportions...

I don't want to be a jerk, but...this is exactly what I was attempting to explain.

Its just not as simple as: "Where there is a will, there is a way."

One last example, I would have marched a certain California Corps last year, If I hadn't had my credit card "used" by a family member and left me without the money I had saved.

I hate to bring up stupid personal things. But those types of experiences happen to a great many people.

1.) Never pay for DCI with student loans. And if you're studying music, don't pay for THAT with loans either. Need more counsel on the topic, PM me.

2.) If M&D pay for everything, you are blessed. Well, except that they view it as a cheap way to get you out of the house for 3 months. Maybe I didn't have it so bad with a M&D who didn't pay for DC. The rest of you? Get a job. Do fundraising. Put school on hold for a semester/year/two.

Not much sympathy here, sorry.

And corps...take note...your members can either pay $1,000 to American Airlines or they can pay it to you. Take note of where your membership comes from. Texans have talent and money to spare. Funny, some corps have learned that lesson.