Phantom Regiment 2008 Spartacus

Take a look at the post I quoted again:

They were suggesting that Phantom should play music from the movie 300 because "it would fit the theme." My point was simply that music from the movie 300 doesn't fit the theme any more than say, music from the movie Gladiator, because Sparta and Spartacus are not really related. Gladiator would actually make more sense, since both Spartacus and Gladiator are set in ancient Rome.

Also - and someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this... I only saw 300 once - wasn't most of the music from 300 hard rock/metal type stuff? I don't really see Phantom playing that type of music.

If you want to get technical about the music theme, how did last years opener, music about an alien abduction, fit the bird theme. :blink:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It didn't. I also never said that Ave Maria "fit the theme" of Faust. I never said that music had to "fit the theme." The only statement I made was that Sparta and Spartacus are not equivalent, and that music from the movie 300 therefore does not inherently fit the theme. I never said they wouldn't use music from 300 or that they would choose not to because it didn't fit the theme. Just that the movie and therefore the music don't have any inherent relation to Spartacus.

Edited by TSRTS13

It didn't. I also never said that Ave Maria "fit the theme" of Faust. I never said that music had to "fit the theme." The only statement I made was that Sparta and Spartacus are not equivalent, and that music from the movie 300 therefore does not inherently fit the theme. I never said they wouldn't use music from 300 or that they would choose not to because it didn't fit the theme. Just that the movie and therefore the music don't have any inherent relation to Spartacus.

I just have an inherent genetic predetermination to, whenever I hear or read the word "Sparta", alone or in another word, I feel the urge to strip down to a cape and helmet and kill Persian invaders. But that would be bad, so instead, I watch drum corps.

Take a look at the post I quoted again:

They were suggesting that Phantom should play music from the movie 300 because "it would fit the theme." My point was simply that music from the movie 300 doesn't fit the theme any more than say, music from the movie Gladiator, because Sparta and Spartacus are not really related. Gladiator would actually make more sense, since both Spartacus and Gladiator are set in ancient Rome.

Also - and someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this... I only saw 300 once - wasn't most of the music from 300 hard rock/metal type stuff? I don't really see Phantom playing that type of music.

Ah, my bad. Sorry about that.

You guys sound so funny! You crack me up...

"300!"

"Can't do 300, it's a movie and PR doesn't do movie music." Nevsky? "Besides, Sparta has nothing to do with Spartacus."

And on and on. I asked for guesses and the guy guessed. Get over it. And, yes, 300 was rock-ish throughout (mostly?). Still like it...done well.

And once again, nothing in 'Faust' had anything to do with Faust, but it went REALLY, REALLY well, no?

Wow, van der Roost gettin' some love! Is he still alive? Would he come out and assist PR with his own music? The theme of Spartacus, his inspirations, the music, etc? Kind of like Holsinger did with Cadets??

As one of the very fortunate people who got to perform the first Spartacus show in 1981, I sincerely hope they only use music from Khachaturian's ballet. It is beautiful, exciting, epic, and there is a great deal of music still unexplored. I would also love to hear what Shaw and Rennick would do with the original material! I know we had an immediate, almost magical bond with the music from the first rehearsal camp. So, please – all Khachaturian!

Hail Spartacus! :doh:

I could see them bringing back Triumphal March Into Rome, Prelude To Battle, and Apotheosis. Don's right. As much of Khachaturian's ballet we put on the field in 1981 and 1982, there was still plenty more of the ballet that could be performed.

Edited by Jd83