BIG Idea for BIG Stadium Line of Thought

And here's one more point, I think I've made somewhere else before, that I'd like to hear counterarguments to. I would put forward that if DCI is performing in NCAA and NFL stadiums almost exclusively, DCI and the corps take a leap forward in prestige, recognition, etc, even to the point that potential corporate partners take note when DCI comes knocking. "Oh, the BIG stadium DCI--yeah, thanks for calling us!" Instead of, "DCI? Yeah, you guys perform in HS stadiums, don't you?"

I don't know...if a potential corporate sponsor called, they wouldn't ask things like "what size venue do you perform in?", they would ask much more prevalent questions like "how many fans do you draw per show?" or "what's the demographics of your fan base?" And even if they did note that we played only in larger NFL or NCAA stadiums, I don't think the desired effect would be achieved once they realized that although those stadiums can seat tens of thousands of people, at best our largest crowd would be less than half capacity. I don't think that would be "prestigious" at all, but rather it would have the opposite effect, no matter that the product that drum corps sells is designed for only half a stadiuim.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting topic.

Both sides have good points.

Here's my perspective. I'm a former high school band-o (and I don't take offense to that title), former member of the Crossmen, and former member of a large University marching band. Currently, I am a father to many children - all interested in the Drum Corps activity to some degree.

I'd love to take my kids (and many of their friends) to any show in my area or even several hours away. If fact, if I could, I'd do multiple shows.

My problem is finding a way to cover the cost. I don't want to get into a cost vs. value argument (or any argument for that matter). I know it is expensive to fund this activity.

My point is, if you can get more butts in the seats, you will generate more revenue. I will bring more butts to the seats if it is more affordable for me.

Is there a way to get these big stadiums to donate use of their venue to our wonderful non-profit activity? Can the stadium owners get tax breaks for providing a venue? Would they even be interested?

How about more of the larger college stadiums. Many of these are able to seat huge crowds and go unused throughout the summer. There are more of them around than there are NFL stadiums. The Rose Bowl is a good example. Same questions about the benefits to the Universities as for the NFL stadium owners.

Lower priced tickets will generate more interest to those who couldn't go otherwise.

Sorry Mike..the "bad attitude was not directed at you" Mr/Ms. Trombone has issues. I think he/she needs to get over.

Hope you enjoyed your Thanksgiving holidays and the 2007 DVDs

So we do 60 or so shows in NCAA and NFL stadiums instead of 120 in iddy biddy HS stadiums, right?

Your very first sentence in your premise does not paint a 100% accurate picture of the reality of the situation.

First, we are in many big NCAA/NFL style stadiums already. However, you need to define where you draw the line - are major shows like San Antonio or Mufreesboro good enough for you? Technically, neither location is NFL or major NCAA - however, both are way above the level of "iddy biddy" HS stadiums.

Second, you imply that if its not Camp Randall, Invesco Field at Mile High, RCA Dome or the like, then it must be an "iddy biddy" HS stadium. There are many large HS stadiums and other community stadiums that are capable of hosting a decent size crowd. Surely you've seen the size of some of those Texas HS stadiums (everything is bigger in Texas).

Are 8,000 - 10,000 people in J Birney Crum in Allentown or in Memorial Stadium in Charlotte acceptable in your scenario? Again, while nowhere near NFL or NCAA size stadiums, these examples are much larger than the "iddy biddy" HS stadiums referred to. Would you eliminate these shows?

The other thing that hits me as I read the proposal is that you are advocating eliminating 50% of the current tour events. However, many of those events are currently being run and hosted by drum corps as fundraisers for their organizations. Certainly some of the shows to be elimnated would be corps sponsored shows. You just took a big bite out of their operating budget for getting that corps on the field and down the road.

Once upon a time

Stadiums were picked for acoustics and field view. Sometimes the show sponsor could only afford a smaller stadium so that's what you got. Most people will travel only so far to see a show. If it's

a stadium that does not allow me to see or hear a corps properly to my taste, I won't go.

In the past, there have been several shows in New Orleans. Chalmette High stadium was just too low visually but you were close to the field and got the peel the paint gusto of the horn lines, but when put on by Chalmette high, there was no cost for use of the stadium. City Park stadium has hosted several shows including old VFW contests. The stadium gives a little better visual look than Chalmette but has now refigured the field for soccer so that the 50 is actlally where the 35 use to be. Besides, the cost of renting the stadium has jumped up in price so much that even the local district band directors can't afford to use it for the local marching festival.

East Jefferson and West Jefferson stadiums are excellent for a 5,000 person home side stadium. However, prices have gone up so much to rent the stadium that even many high school football games are played at large playground stadiums.

When the Baton Rouge Symphony started "Red Stick Thunder", it was done so as a fund raiser for the symphony. LSU's Tiger stadium was perfect for a drum corps show, but reconstruction to the stadium has screwed things up for awhile.

When you talk about NFL stadiums I cringe at the thought of the Superdome and other domed stadiums. We play our state football championships in the Superdome. The acoustics SUCK. My brother lives in San Antiono and I only wasted my time and money going to that show once. The acoustics are horrible at best.

Most shows I do attend are at college stadums but I have seen MANY high school stadiums that can seat 10,000 on the home side.

I believe most fans want a sense of being up close and personal with a corps performance for the most part. Sure there are times I want to be in the upper deck to get a top view of the design and time I want to be in the front row to get the "in your face" feeling, but for the most part people want the average of the two.

There are reasons that fans LOVE certain stadiums and treat them as Holy Ground. As a performer back in the early to mid 70's I can remember stadiums that I loved marching in but have no idea of what town they were in. As a fan, I have a much better idea of what stadiums I like to see and hear a performance in. Some of my favorites are/were"

Whitewater

LSU's Tiger Stadium

Birmingham ( but I had "gold" seats given to me by DCI for hosting 5 corps in an emergency)

Rice Stadium

Foxbourough sp ? )

MaGill stadium in Montreal ( except for the splinters )

Franklin Field ( as long as you're not stuck behind a post )

One of the biggest problems is the cost. It's all about what the sponsor can afford to do. The idea ( to me ) is to have as many shows as possible in as many local shows as possible to both give the corps the performance fees as well as get as many local kids and fans to shows.

As far as busing kids into shows, keep in mind that while my school is private and owns our buses, most public schools in this area don't. The buses are owned by the drivers and just to go to a football game 3 miles away it's going to cost at least $85 per bus. If you're going to take kids an hour or two away it's almost cheaper to charter a bus.

As far as consessions and giving free drinks etc., who is going to pay for those ? Most stadiums have their own consession groups that make their money as a split with the stadium and in an NFL stadium? Wow, there's nothingh free there. My band can't even bring in our own water even though we are seated on the field with no access to the consession stands. I have to bring in coolers with the team and they MUST be Gatoraid coolers. If there is a soft drink to be found anywhere in my band. it better be a Coke product or there is a $500 fine since Coke is a sponsor of the superdome.

While some people may call this post negative, I call it looking at the real situations. There are so many things involved with stadiums and what you can or can't do, it besomes a great burden just dealing with many of them.

Unless DCI itself is dealing with this situation and sponsors ALL shows, we need to be happy that someone, anyone is willing to sponsor a show and take the gamble on losing or making money