Trumpet Range?

Discombobulato

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Take lessons

2) ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS listen very intently to how you sound whenever you play

3) Focus on your fundamentals, and efficient goal-oriented practice and the range will come.

Hah, thankyou all. I'm going to try all the methods, except the last one (until further notice, first I need my new trumpet). I've also noticed, this could be the mouthpiece, but I'm much better with range during the season and corps rehearsals, I think because I get warmed up a lot more than school (taking 30 mins at least to warmup up during school doesn't really work), so I think how warm I am has something to do with it. But then again, When I'm cold and just pulling out my trumpet it also is better. Weird, but yeah thanks for the advice you guys.

Oh, and I know I need to focus on good tone quality as well, because the higher I play the brighter it gets. If I darken my sound in the upper register, will that also help improve my range? (Time to look at xtremebrass.com now)

Edited by Discombobulato

Oh, and I know I need to focus on good tone quality as well, because the higher I play the brighter it gets. If I darken my sound in the upper register, will that also help improve my range? (Time to look at xtremebrass.com now)

No, but it is great practice and often overlooked in teaching, except by jazz teachers, to learn to color and adapt your sound either for the venue or for the style of music.

Sometimes you want a good, raspy Louis Armstrong, sometimes a warm and fuzzy Chet Baker. Listen to many different artists, as many as you can. Listen and enjoy and learn what you enjoy.

It takes time and I'm sure you'll get it. Range practice ain't pretty and it's hard work, that's why a lot of people don't teach it and even more don't do it.

Once you get the range, if you've learned everything else too, it will be nice sounding and more importantly, there, when you need it.

Try your hardest NOT to press.

Donny

I'll second this one.

You'll do it anyhow, but try not to and you'll find out how much pressure works. Press too hard and the tone stops anyhow.

I know I never woke up Sunday after a day of practice and competition and had chewed up chops - never. :worthy:

I hear Tasty Bros have the leading method on achieving high range....

(for those that don't know who they are, this is completely a joke, but look them up anyways, its amazing)

Compression of the chops, and relaxing of your body. Don't tense, don't strain, just relax and think out.

I recomend finding a teacher that can play up there AND knows HOW to teach it. Most players I know that struggle with range play with these type of problems: open apps, start a buzz with the tounge between the lips, change embouchures according to range, tense their bodies, excessive pressure, confuse compression with flexibility, confuse stretching with compressing, some players just choke. You can have one or all of these problems, that's where a teacher comes in and a good one is hard to find IMO.