Trumpet Range?

Discombobulato

Being a french horn player, it's been my experience on trumpet, that to get into the high range it's best to dig the mouthpiece as far into your face as you can. If you're doing it right, you should feel a nice bruise on your right pinky after playing for awhile. =)

Ahhh, yes. It's a popular method. You have to keep in mind, though, when you use such pressure to think about "faster" pressure - not harder. Try to viualize it that way - it will help. Seriously.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make sure you start with a mouthpiece that sounds good in all registers. The cup should be large enough to accommodate easy lip buzzing after your lips fill with blood. (after a few minutes of playing)

Most Important (90% AIR 10% LIP)

Good Luck!

but what do you do if you are a pressure player such as myself?

Make sure you start with a mouthpiece that sounds good in all registers. The cup should be large enough to accommodate easy lip buzzing after your lips fill with blood. (after a few minutes of playing)

Most Important (90% AIR 10% LIP)

Good Luck!

but what do you do if you are a pressure player such as myself?

That depends on if you're happy with the results you get from using a lot of pressure.

Sometimes using a lot of pressure causes the player to need a lot of recovery time before they can play again in a normal register and sound good.

All players use some pressure, at least equal to what they need to keep the mpc on their chops, when playing in the upper register.

You should seek a method/equipment or way that keeps your lips flexible enough to play high, but also perform in the lower registers.

A common set up is an open, medium to large bore horn with a rather tight backbore on the mouthpiece.

Mouthpiece cup should be as deep as you can use and still achieve the sound and range/endurance you want.

Most players can play in the upper register on a large cup mouthpiece, but the sound and endurance is affected.

It's a balancing act to find what works for you and how and where you play.

If you're using a lot of pressure because it's the only way you can get up there and it affects the rest of your playing, then I'd say you need to find a better way.

Someone that can play high and has an open mind to experimenting with equipment and methods may be of great benefit in teaching you what you need to know.

In my experience, it takes a lot of work to get and control the range you seek. Upper register practice can get pretty ugly and it's no fun to do or listen to. Just keep working on it and be patient.

I'm actually very happy with the result Iget with the pressure, I don't have much of a recovery time, it takes one to two seconds to recover and play in the lower registers. the mouth piece i use in the corps is a mpc that my uncle forged in 85. it has a soft round lip and very shollow bowl, but the bore is bigger than most, it's wired but I love it.

That depends on if you're happy with the results you get from using a lot of pressure.

Sometimes using a lot of pressure causes the player to need a lot of recovery time before they can play again in a normal register and sound good.

All players use some pressure, at least equal to what they need to keep the mpc on their chops, when playing in the upper register.

You should seek a method/equipment or way that keeps your lips flexible enough to play high, but also perform in the lower registers.

A common set up is an open, medium to large bore horn with a rather tight backbore on the mouthpiece.

Mouthpiece cup should be as deep as you can use and still achieve the sound and range/endurance you want.

Most players can play in the upper register on a large cup mouthpiece, but the sound and endurance is affected.

If you're using a lot of pressure because it's the only way you can get up there and it affects the rest of your playing, then I'd say you need to find a better way.

Someone that can play high and has an open mind to experimenting with equipment and methods may be of great benefit in teaching you what you need to know.

In my experience, it takes a lot of work to get and control the range you seek. Upper register practice can get pretty ugly and it's no fun to do or listen to. Just keep working on it and be patient.

I'm actually very happy with the result Iget with the pressure, I don't have much of a recovery time, it takes one to two seconds to recover and play in the lower registers. the mouth piece i use in the corps is a mpc that my uncle forged in 85. it has a soft round lip and very shollow bowl, but the bore is bigger than most, it's wired but I love it.

Well, heck then. You're good to go.

:cool:

rock on, you play sop don't you?

Well, heck then. You're good to go.

:cool:

Josh, I told you all this before. But you seem to be working under pressure. Just be sure you have a backup plan with playing (even with what has been said here) when the pressure system starts to faulter.