Trumpet Range?

Discombobulato

Since no one has jumped on this one, I'll take the reigns.

Picking up the instrument after a 30 year layoff is just like picking it up for the first time. This SUCKS, but it's a blessing in disguise. Without many habits in place, you can start practicing with correct embouchure technique with relative ease. My advice to you is to spend the next few weeks just lip buzzing without the mouthpiece. This is easy to do in the car going to and from work. Aim for a clear buzz, achieved through a relaxed feel.

Starting back up on the trumpet with lip buzzing does a few things:

1) Begins to re familiarize the facial structure with the movements necessary to play.

2) Making a clean, relaxed buzz draws the lips into a more efficient position. Without a rim to support the lips, they must find the sweet spot alone. This will pay off BIG time in every aspect of playing.

So I'd spend the next week or two just lip buzzing. Do it until you can easily buzz scales or simple tunes. The worst mistake you can make is buzzing too high. When we play the instrument, the lips do not buzz at the actual pitch we hear. Because the trumpet helps to establish a sympathetic vibration, the lips are MUCH more relaxed when playing than when "free-buzzing". Just about all trumpet players should have a buzz-set that is a fifth or a full octave below the note that is played on the trumpet. Example (for me): when I set my face to buzz a low C, if I play the trumpet with that set, a middle G will actually come out. This physically relaxed approach is what will give you sound, power, endurance, flexibility, range, etc. So when you free-buzz, don't do it over middle G!

Lip buzzing has been the sole reason for my success as a player. Not from a muscular standpoint, but from an efficiency standpoint. It takes VERY little facial strength to play killer double C's. We all have the innate strength to do so. What holds back players from achieving command over all the registers is the coordination of that innate facial strength. Now, the tongue does play a vital role, but that's a discussion for a different thread. My warm up consists ONLY of lip buzzing. If I spend a minute or two lip buzzing simple stuff below the staff, I'm ready to perform any piece of music, from low C to double C. So my advice to you, is to embrace the notion that the instrument is not the trumpet, but the face. We don't play the trumpet, we play the chops. Make your chops work for you by lip buzzing and thus, teaching them to find their own way into efficient playing. And ALWAYS strive for the most physically relaxed approach possible. The best players make it look easy, because it IS easy.

Great advise Drew......maybe I should practice what you preach a little more! My drive to and from work every day just may help my range to be just where I want it to be, and be comfortable with it! :tongue:

Thanks dude!

Edited by FPonzo

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope this isn't considered off topic, but what about the guy (me) who hasn't played in about 30 years. Any advice for starting over? Not just in terms of range, but overall.

Back in the day (at 17 like the original poster is now), double G was my highest "predictable" note. My lip dexterity was fair, I was working on developing a good lip trill. I picked up a trumpet a few months ago and sounded like . . . well, I did't sound good.

I thought I' just get a mouthpiece and start going at lip dexterity exercises working the range up and down for several weeks while I commute (it's a long drive) before picking up a horn again. I might add some tonguing exercises to that.

At 45 I don't know what opportunities to play again will ever be, but who knows, maybe an ensemble or something at some point. . . I wonder how long it will take to get back to a point where I won't embarrass myself.

Here's a fun site with lots of good info for the comeback player. Good Luck and there is lots of good advice on the web, but also there is stuff that just won't work for you. If something isn't working and you've given it a fair shake, then move on.

Comeback trumpeter site