What is the purpose these days?

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it was 1:32 PM on a rainy Wednesday afternoon.

:tounge2:

HAH! That's merely an educated guess!

No it's true, but only on the east coast.

Bugle corps is for sure not drum and bugle corps anymore. It used to be sponsored by the American Legions and VFWs, and corps used to perform for veterans' events. It's all a sport now. That's why I am in my current corps. We are all buglers and we play for veterans. We play to serve, not to win.

Looking at several threads, and drawing some conclusions.

1. Drum Corps isn't about entertaining the masses, if it was then DCI would have found a way to keep the broadcast.

2. Drum Corps isn't about giving as many youth as possible a chance to participate in a positive team-building, if it was there would be many more corps, and participation costs would be far less.

So what is the misson these days? All I can come up with is "give music and other performannce-oriented youth a chance to perform in a large, national-youring group for a few months" so they can pad their resume.

Any thoughts?

Drum corps was never, and never will be about these two things.

1) Baseball isn't about entertaining the masses. Neither is art.

2) Open Class...

Bull..Numerous Studies show music education students do better with cognitive thinking skills, and in general score higher on standardized tests. In addition, students who take part in school music programs are less likely to be discipline problems.

Got any links to those studies to share with us?

I predict the studies (purposefully) conflate correlation and causation (if they even rise to that level)...

Edited by GuyW

.......Don't pretend like every local corps could offer as good of an experience as the one next door. Even in World Class, we have groups like The Cavaliers, and we have groups like Pioneer....

Yeah - wasn't Pioneer GREAT?? I wish we had more corps like them...

Edited by GuyW

....HS programs do, and do a better job than corps ever did....

How about sharing some of those metrics you have that led to that conclusion, so we can all make an informed conclusion?

...it's not that I don't trust you, or anything.....