Forum Updates

JohnD

The updates that we're making to the system this evening will provide a number of new or expanded features. They include:

• A new editor has been added to the system, making it easier to format the content of posts and messages you are creating, as you create them. With some browsers (Firefox, for example), you may switch to rich text format - giving you a WYSIWYG display of the editor contents.
  • A 'Personal Profile Portal" has been added, providing an expanded view of member information, including:
    - Friends list - manage your friends for easier PMing, to see if your friends are currently online and display your friends on your profile
    - Your content - show your recent posts and topics on your profile
    - Personal statement - add a short bio for others to read
    - Member rating - rate other members on a scale of 1 to 5 stars.
    - Easy access to edit your location, age, gender, and IM details
  • A number of internal improvements have been made to the system that should result in better performance and use of resources, easier management, and greater system security.
  • In addition, with this update we have decided to open the rating of topics to the entire community. Members will now have the ability to assign a rating of 1 to 5 stars to threads, which will be displayed once a minimum number of votes are cast. We thank those members of the Gold Star Rating Panel that participated in the initial program.

We appreciate your patience and support as we roll these changes out to the DCP community. Our team has spent several weeks familiarizing themselves with the changes to the system and validating its operation. We'll do our best to ensure that the updates have little (negative) effect on your participation.

John,

this is all exciting stuff. Any chance for reconsidering the recent changes to the DCA forums with the merger of the Announcement and Discussion forums? Or may be a consideration of seperation of DCA and Alumni corps? There is so many groups represented in the DCA Class A/DCA Open Class/DCA mini-corps and the Alumni world, it is often nearly futile to post now as it ends up on page 7 after only a few hours. Just wondering. Also, I would be interested to see if the number of posts have reduced since the change, I have heard alot of grumbling about not liking the changes. I'm curious?

The system was brought back online at approximately 4:15am PST on Saturday morning. We'll spend the next couple of days making sure that all of our changes are working properly and that all of the files and images have been properly transferred.

We have no plans to make any changes to the structure of the forums at this time. If you have any questions or comments on that issue, please contact our Community Administrator MikeN via Private Message (PM).

Thank you for your patience.

-john

Please note:

If you experience problems with the images or features of the system, please be sure to CLEAR your browser's cache. This will flush all stored files and images that may be left-over from the previous software version.

very much appriciated here John. A lot fo hours and pots of coffee went into this upgrade, and both I and the Republic of Columbia thank you for it :worthy:

Looking really good! ^OO^

Main thing I hafta get used to is not being able to use abbreviations for smilies. I always did :) or <_<. now I hafta use smile and dry enclosed in colons.

Edited by Gorgo

I really like the professional look. It's so clean looking, and I appreciate a "clean" website! :bluedevil:

seems good so far! :)

thanks for all your hard work!!

A lot fo hours and pots of coffee went into this upgrade

Was it coffee-flavored coffee?