A: Competitive Inertia

It's mindless discussions like this that make people dislike DCP...

Which would you say is most mindless post to this thread in the past 24 hours?

Edited by N.E. Brigand

...not to mention the top 3-4 corps essentially have their pick of the litter when it comes to rookies.

But, in reality, are not the new mm they sign up arriving with at least a year or two of marching elsewhere? i.e. A trumpet player for CC, marched Music City in 13, and the Troopers the next two years.

I really like the discussion about competitive inertia. And, while I acknowledge that members transferring between corps affects competitive inertia, if that is going to be what you want to talk about, you should create a new thread to do that.

In regards to CI, I wonder who the next new corps to medal will be.... I guess the most obvious answer is Blue Knights.

SCV, while being a former medalist and champion, hasn't medaled since 2004.

It's mindless discussions like this that make people dislike DCP...

This kind of post kills me. Is anything about DCP worthy of War and Peace importance? Of course not. It's band.

And yet, here you are, being mindless with the rest of us.

• Like 1

Safe for another year! Sorry I didn't get in the first word in 2016, but I've been traveling all day! (After partying all night...Go Bloooo!)

We got a new champion, and note that Bloo had been second or third in the two years prior (also their first medal in 2010). This was textbook Competitive Inertia.

So, again, in order for CI to be debunked, we'll need a non-champion to win without first coming in 2nd or 3rd in a prior year. Who's going to do that? Blue Knights? Boston? Academy? CI says it's impossible.

• Like 3

Wait...is this a Blue Devils show I missed?

Presenting their 2017 production, "God's in his heaven; all's right with the world!", DCI is proud to present . . .

Edited by N.E. Brigand

• 1 year later...

Safe for another year! But at least SCV, Cavies and Boston are relevant again!

We'll need Boston to win without first coming in 2nd or 3rd in a prior year to debunk CI.

The inner games were so strong and obvious this year, it's almost comical. Did you see some of the shows this summer where every single sub-caption lined up exactly with the placement? I claim it's STATISTICALLY IMPOSSIBLE. I mean, every single corps miraculously achieved at exactly the same rate as the rep! And they weren't even better or worse than any other competitor in those subs! amazing! /sarc

We need Boston to win soon, and to do it without first coming in 2nd or 3rd. I'd love it if they won next year. Probably 4th is the best they can hope for...and then maybe 1st in 2019?

Trust me, I want CI debunked.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Bruckner8 said:

. Did you see some of the shows this summer where every single sub-caption lined up exactly with the placement? I claim it's STATISTICALLY IMPOSSIBLE. I mean, every single corps miraculously achieved at exactly the same rate as the rep!  .

I was an initial skeptic, but later became a convert to the validity possibilities to the Theory of CI, as the theory has been tested to a thorough enough historical timeframe now to demonstrate if its stands up to scrutiny... and so far, it does.

On your question here,.. No ... I have not seen any shows this summer" where every single sub-caption  lined up exactly with the placement ". I have not seen " every single Corps achieve at exactly the same rate as the rep. ". It entirely possible however that I could have missed this during the summer when I looked at the recaps in quite a few shows. But I AM interested in learning what shows you found this statistical implausibility in. Could you list the shows so I can match up what you saying here with this ? I find it very intriguing. Thanks Bruckner8 .

Edited by BRASSO

1 hour ago, Bruckner8 said:

Safe for another year! But at least SCV, Cavies and Boston are relevant again!

Right after BD won, I posited in the Finals thread that your theory might be shaken, though not broken, if SCV had won this year, given it was 14 years since they last medaled. Any thoughts on the question of whether the advantages of competitive inertia wear off after a period of time?

• Like 2