A: Competitive Inertia

32 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

While perhaps true, we'd be compelled then to state that DCI itself was " foolish " to compare its Drum Corps to sports and athletes by marketing itself to ESPN Sport Network in 2007-2008, utlilizing sports athletes/ Coaches, sport broadcasters on its broadcasts in the past ( ,QB Steve Young, Coach Bobby Knight, Sports Broadcaster Curt Gowdy etc ) calling itself " Marching Music Major Leagues",  hooking up a Quad player with devices at practice to have its heart rate and metabolism compared to that of other " world class athletes", and several other examples where DCI itself compared its teams and participants to Sports teams and to athletes... and  even marketed itself as such... to a Sports Network, no less.. So yes, maybe DCI was" foolish" to do this. If so, you'd not be the first to think this either.

You'd get no argument from me. I always thought it was foolish marketing strategy. It clearly didn't work because, among a myriad of reasons, it's not a sport.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, seen-it-all said:

You'd get no argument from me. I always thought it was foolish marketing strategy. It clearly didn't work because, among a myriad of reasons, it's not a sport.

I can cut DCI some slack on this however. They had already lost the PBS Broadcasts, and were looking for another national network to pick up their Championships. They saw ESPN as a possibility, approached them, and probably thought in order to get the TV gig, we have to show we're a " sport " with " athletes ",, but with musical instruments/ rifles/ flags. It was a tough sell from the getgo with that, imo, But at least DCI got a 2 year national TV gig for its Championships and some terrific national TV exposure for its marchers out of it. So at the time, I could understand it. In retrospect though, looking back, it was never going to work more than a year or two, imo... which as it turns out, was all it became with ESPN. I agree with you here as well on this ,ie. DCI Drum Corps is not " a sport ", and its performers in competition are not " athletes " ( although physical dexterity, agility, endurance,  hand/ eye coordination and so forth, etc are advantageous in competition to both )

Edited by BRASSO

On 8/13/2018 at 7:45 PM, BRASSO said:

Since 1976 when the Blue Devils won their 1st DCI Title, no sports team, College or Pro, has won anything remotely close to 18 Titles in this similar 1976-2018  time frame. Its completely unheard of.

I'll play along.

Since 1976, the University of Iowa has won 22 NCAA team titles in wrestling.

Edited by Precious Roy
added the word "team"
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Precious Roy said:

I'll play along.

True enough, it turns out. This number would exceed BD's number of Titles won in the similar time frame of '76- to now. 

. Iowa U. Team Wrestling even matched BD in combined 1st/ 2nd place finishes at 28 it appears.. BD has had 29 from '76 to now. Good research & good knowledge. We learn something new on here every day it seems. I know I just did.... haha!

Edited by BRASSO

19 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

True enough, it turns out. This number would exceed BD's number of Titles won in the similar time frame of '76- to now. 

I wonder though if Iowa ever finished lower than 5th in Team wrestling during any of those seasons... would you know ? Just curious, thats all.

My suspicion is that they haven't finished out of the top 5, since they have had a very strong program (obviously) since the early 70s. But I can't say definitely that is true at the moment, because I can't find a comprehensive NCAA wrestling championships listing (Wikipedia has top 10s through 1987, but inexplicably quits there).

Edit: Turns out, Iowa finished 6th in 1989, 8th in 2003, 7th in 2005, and 8th in 2007. So, my suspicion was very much wrong.

BTW, Penn State has won 7 of the last 8 NCAA wrestling team championships.

Edited by Precious Roy
as noted

2 minutes ago, Precious Roy said:

My suspicion is that they haven't finished out of the top 5, since they have had a very strong program (obviously) since the early 70s. But I can't say definitely that is true at the moment, because I can't find a comprehensive NCAA wrestling championships listing (Wikipedia has top 10s through 1987, but inexplicably quits there).

BTW, Penn State has won 7 of the last 8 NCAA wrestling team championships.

I know very little about College wrestling, only that U. Iowa is or was very good at it. ( Knew nothing about the Nittany Lions success in the this college sport of late). 'Never knew U. Iowa was actually THIS dominant in this college sport since the 70's. I'm sold... lol!

3 hours ago, BRASSO said:

utlilizing sports athletes/ Coaches, sport broadcasters on its broadcasts in the past ( ,QB Steve Young, Coach Bobby Knight, Sports Broadcaster Curt Gowdy etc ) calling itself 

Rita Moreno old PBS broadcast. Remember her comments after the Cadets about the Guard, A great ensemble but she could pick them apart individually. Bet she can't today.

How wonderful would it be for dci/PBS to work out something where PBS can re-air the old broadcasts. Today with digital transmission PBS and all off-air channels have  5 or 6 what they call dot channels in their allocated analog bandwidth lots of air-time to fill.

I know dci still wants to sell them themselves but there will be/maybe has already come a time where purchasing something that is older than you becomes counter productive. A bright marketing genius may see this as an opportunity to place some ad-spots pushing current events to a wider audience. I see reruns as old as dirt all the time why not drum corps.

Still won't make me and Brasso happy unless it's an old super 8 video maybe third generation before we even see any video issues, from way back in the 60's hopefully not lost forever. 

Edited by Bluzes
typo
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

How wonderful would it be for dci/PBS to work out something where PBS can re-air the old broadcasts. Today with digital transmission PBS and all off-air channels have  5 or 6 what they call dot channels in their allocated analog bandwidth lots of air-time to fill.

Image result for big cheer... gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Precious Roy said:

I'll play along.

Kenyon College won 31 straight NCAA Division III swimming titles: 1980 to 2010.

• 11 months later...

Safe for another year! No new champion, so there's nothing really to discuss. BD won. Business as usual, even though a suitable competitor was right there. Tough spot for a judge. Competitive Inertia simplifies things, as I stated in the original post, 12 years ago. All good. 

• Like 3