A: Competitive Inertia

I think I’m speaking for a lot of folks here when this concept gets brought up, eye rolls come out. It’s tired, honestly pretty meaningless when it comes to observing a corps in the moment. Boston had a great year, didn’t even really “come up short” as they performed what they were given wonderfully and had the best year for their corps in history. Whoever does the same, instead of saying “they can’t win” focus the topic of discussion for corps on what you enjoy about a show and what you’re looking at instead of numbers from years that are in the past.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

I think I’m speaking for a lot of folks here when this concept gets brought up, eye rolls come out. It’s tired, honestly pretty meaningless when it comes to observing a corps in the moment. Boston had a great year, didn’t even really “come up short” as they performed what they were given wonderfully and had the best year for their corps in history. Whoever does the same, instead of saying “they can’t win” focus the topic of discussion for corps on what you enjoy about a show and what you’re looking at instead of numbers from years that are in the past.

What kind of pyscho-killer would be contemplating CI while "in the moment?" 

I enjoy CI discourse and when it finally collapses in 25 years, I hope to be flooding this thread in mourning. But I am just speaking for myself.

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Haha 2

On 8/13/2022 at 11:36 PM, MikeRapp said:

I thought the next corps to win their first medal would be Knights. Now I say Blue Stars.

if the Blue Stars did win a DCI title , the theory this poster came up would still this hold true., as the Blue Stars HAVE medaled before in DCI . Twice . (‘72, ‘73 )

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 2

• 11 months later...

Safe for another year! No drama whatsoever at the top; no new champion, no new top 3. 

Hats off to Mandarins for making it to the Top 6! That's a massive achievement with or without SCV! 

Thus the interesting question going forward is: Will Mandarins debunk Competitive Inertia by winning without first coming in 2nd or 3rd? Can anyone even imagine how good Mandarins...and how clearly "ungood" all of the corps currently above them...would have to be (at the same time) for that to happen? 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1