A: Competitive Inertia

in most cases it boils down to MONEY! Give any corps enough money to go out and buy the best designers and staff away from the top corps now, buy the best equipment, vechiles, cooks, administration ie.. tour director etc... and I will show you some inertia.

This disrespects those who put their entire selves into it, and not for the money.

You're so wrong, you have no idea.

in most cases it boils down to MONEY! Give any corps enough money to go out and buy the best designers and staff away from the top corps now, buy the best equipment, vechiles, cooks, administration ie.. tour director etc... and I will show you some inertia.

Money can't buy CI! (but it can help set things in motion to create it a lot more quickly - it also takes heart, drive, and creativity to match the money)

Cavaliers' budgets are smaller than many of the non- top 3 corps. Lots of volunteers who keep the corps moving and an instructional staff who works for relative peanuts, just cuz they love working at that level.

So no, it's not about money; it's about ideas, execution, vision, and consistency.

Edited by mobrien
  • Like 3

I think where the discussion about CI "goes wrong" is it treats CI as if it resides with each corps. This of course is NOT where CI lives. It lives in the minds of the judges. So any discussion about CI which ignores that property is (IMHO) pretty silly.

CI is ALL about describing the judges thought-processes and tendencies and actually has nothing at all to do with the corps themselves.

Edited by corpsband

I think where the discussion about CI "goes wrong" is it treats CI as if it resides with the each corps. This of course is NOT where CI lives. It lives in the minds of the judges. So any discussion about CI which ignores that property is (IMHO) pretty silly.

CI is ALL about describing the judges thought-processes and tendencies and actually has nothing at all to do with the corps themselves.

Absolutely. In fact, I might make a motion to change CI from "Competitive Inertia" to "Credibility Index." My view is this inertia is relevant primarily to the extent that it lends credibility in the eyes of judges. That is, a contending corps has to establish to the judges that its worthy of championship status before they will confirm that status with the trophy. It's not the inertia that confirms; it's the credibility.

HH

Just curious after reading a lot of this thread, but admittedly not all of it. I think I understand the concept originally described and have heard commentators say it applies to sports as well, saying a team needs to have been in the World Series, Super Bowl, NBA Finals, etc. and lose before they figure out how to win it. It seems to me that CI may be inherent in any competitive activity. A supremely talented staff could come up with great ideas, great design, great teaching techniques, but come up just a little short to another group that has been there and knows better what it takes to win. Not just speaking about drum corps, but any competitive arena.

And are there any instances where someone feels a corps was shafted out of a championship win due to CI?

... And are there any instances where someone feels a corps was shafted out of a championship win due to CI?

Certainly there were some Crown fans who felt that way in 2009. But in general, there are few such examples in part because there have been so few new names at the top. Some might suggest that is evidence of the effect of competitive inertia. To me, it's one of the biggest questions marks within this thinking.

HH

Just curious after reading a lot of this thread, but admittedly not all of it. I think I understand the concept originally described and have heard commentators say it applies to sports as well, saying a team needs to have been in the World Series, Super Bowl, NBA Finals, etc. and lose before they figure out how to win it. It seems to me that CI may be inherent in any competitive activity. A supremely talented staff could come up with great ideas, great design, great teaching techniques, but come up just a little short to another group that has been there and knows better what it takes to win. Not just speaking about drum corps, but any competitive arena.

And are there any instances where someone feels a corps was shafted out of a championship win due to CI?

Gotta disagree there, if it isn't a judged event. If the Nationals hit 50 home runs off every team they play next year, they will be champions.

• Like 1

Gotta disagree there, if it isn't a judged event. If the Nationals hit 50 home runs off every team they play next year, they will be champions.

I'm not saying it's true, just that it's been mentioned in sports before. For one example, they said Jordan needed a few years of losing, then some playoff success without winning the big one to prepare him to win a championship. Same with Lebron. But the maturization of the players in question and the origanization is only one part. They had to build around Jordan to get to the top. Adding Phil Jackson, good drafts, good FA, etc. Just pointing out that this concept of CI is not only discussed with drum corps.

Plus, the Nats would have to do that in the World Series, not just the season. :tongue: