Your Corps Song

bumo27

Actually, when I joined the Cabs in 1966, the corps was 20 years old, and there was a corps song that many of the old timers sang. I remember that guys like Ralph Silverbrand, Eddie Ford, Frank Latella, Johnny Grada, et al. would usually sing it as we approached the stadium before a contest.

I never learned the whole song, and sadly as those guys began to leave, it died out in the late 60's/early 70's. I can only recall the opening line and the closing. It began: "Have you seen the Reilly Raiders . . . ?" and went on to name the corps' biggest competitors such as Archie, Syracuse, Garbarina, etc. and how we'd best them. Then the final line was something like " . . . For the people are all shouting for the Caballeros!"

I wish I remembered more of it. One of these days, we have to corner Georgie Hayek, Joe Scarber or Joe Doran and see if any of them remember it. Might be a kick to resurrect it with updated words referring to present competitors, or get the Alumni to sing it.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kicker is I don't think even Jeff Ream knows how old Westshores' song really is. If I remember right, it already existed when his dad joined in the mid-60s. Might be second oldest next to 'Garbarina'.

Hmmm ... I would venture a guess that Archie's "We Are The Musketeers" might eclipse even Garbarina ... Jimmy C - post the words for us ... quite stirring when they used to sing it on stage and standstills ... the rendition on their "Champions" studio recording album was superb ...

Andy

Edited by ajlisko

The Perfect Year (melody is from The Perfect Year from the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical "Sunset Boulevard", although the lyrics have been changed.

Lyrics written by Dennis Argul .....

one of my better moments before each show is singing that song .... :devil:

one of my better moments of Bushwacker bus rides is singing other songs .... :devil:

and, Liz ... I'll teach you the rest of the Bridgemen song ... even after 20 years, some things you just don't forget ... :devil:

I always thought that Bush's song was ..."All the leaves are brown"...

:devil:

and, Liz ... I'll teach you the rest of the Bridgemen song ... even after 20 years, some things you just don't forget ... :devil:

thank you! :devil:

hopefully i'll regain my singing voice sometime soon. :devil:

i do not believe the words to the Hurcs corps song are on its website. so i do not believe it is my place to post them.

i do know that as a rookie it was important i learn them before my first show. considering my first show was the week after i joined i failed miserably at that. BUT i was saved by another rookie who took me under his wing that first summer so that i learned them quickly. i think of him and the song much more frequently than anyone could imagine.

It is Not posted on the website. It is a Hurricane rule not to have the song in any written form. They way you learn is by listening to the vets sing it and learn it that way. This is just a tradition that is followed today

In the spirit of Chris' original post, I'm going with my Jr. Corps corps song.

When you walk through a storm

Hold your head up high

And don't be afraid of the Dark

At the end of the storm

There's a golden sky

And the sweet silver song of a lark

Walk on through the wind

Walk on through the rain

Though your dreams be tossed and blown

Walk on, Walk on

With hope in your heart

And you'll never walk alone

You'll never walk alone

This is the first one I thought of after "Garbarina". Two songs that have endured for decades.

Hmmm ... I would venture a guess that Archie's "We Are The Musketeers" might eclipse even Garbarina ... Jimmy C - post the words for us ... quite stirring when they used to sing it on stage and standstills ... the rendition on their "Champions" studio recording album was superb ...

Andy

Another song that was printed in a corps yearbook. In this case Archies 50th but not sure if I still have it. Sold a lot of printed stuff when the basement started getting damp. :devil: Also great hearing Archie blast this off the starting line when they started competing again in the early '80s.

Hanover Lancers also use "You'll Never Walk Alone" but we don't sing it. It's our corps motto and we end our standstills and parades by playing it.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

I sang "All the Leaves are Brown" as far back as my rookie year with Sound of Long Island in 1989. So it's even possible that this one goes back to the New Image or St. Ignatius days.

At least in 1994 at Macy's it was :devil:
Edited by twillms73