Thinking Outside the Box: Show Concepts

I am already writing this show! :D

for high school marching band, granted... :D

It's my favorite...

Please send it to me, I'd love to see it! :)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also would like to see a drum corps do a show based on the "Last of the Mohicans" movie, and I mean REALLY do a show about it.

The music is incredible. The story is just as incredible.

I agree. If a corps wanted to be really ambitious, they could do a show about the entire saga of Natty Bumppo / Leatherstocking...or maybe even break it into 2 or 3 years. I'd love it.

We had an issue with De Meij in this regard but I didn't know that Maslanka fell into this camp. For some reason I thought someone did A Child's Garden of Dreams.

Does anyone feel like we may legitimize ourselves as a true musical entity if someone took the step of actually commissioning Maslanka?

Maslanka doesn't allow his music to be arranged by anybody but himself, or I think a ton of corps would've done the excellent piece you suggested. The quote below is just a partial list of composers and pieces that are not allowed to be arranged. People might find the whole list interesting. Anyway, here's the info on Maslanka.

http://www.bands.org/Public/resourceroom/c...right_guide.asp

Interesting to see John Williams on there because I know BD did a little bit of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom in their 97 show. :laughing: Maybe it was just short enough to be considered fair use or something.

We had an issue with De Meij in this regard but I didn't know that Maslanka fell into this camp. For some reason I thought someone did A Child's Garden of Dreams.

Does anyone feel like we may legitimize ourselves as a true musical entity if someone took the step of actually commissioning Maslanka?

i think that would be awesome actually.

in the same regard, how bout commissioning Eric Ewazen to write an original work for drum corps? he is probably the best composer for brass alive right now. it be pretty bad ###.

I've always thought The Shawshank Redemption would make for awesome drum corps. I know there was a WGI World colorguard who did a show like this. Although I don't recall which year it was.

I don't really follow winterguard but of the shows I've seen that was one of my favs.

Anyway. My original point was the pure emotion of being imprisoned, innocently or not, enduring the lifestyle trials and tribulations of prison life, escaping and the like would make for incredibly powerful drum corps.

Edited by SoCal04

you are either:

1. kidding

2. a 16 yr old kid who has never written or taught

Gotta love the Holocaust when it come to T shirt potential. UGH

I'm neither kidding nor sixteen. I've written and taught in the past. The show isn't about the holocaust per se its about any situation where someone is taken against their will and fights back. I said the holocause because its the first thing that popped in my head as a reference point, other than the fighting back part. People on here need to lighten up.

Same name (different story) as one of my Favorite books The Power of One by Bryce Courteney. Was made into a movie in the '90's, starring Morgan Freeman with a Beautiful Soundtrack by Hans Zimmer. Not really DC material, but some wonderful stuff.

Sounds cool. What was it about?

I like violence in shows, at least marching band/drum corps. I might even say it's under-used compared to other topics, especially considering its prevalence in other forms of entertainment. As an artistic device, it can be extremely powerful.

"Where's the gore in drum corps?" :dry:

You know, I would argue that shows based off of Broadway plays have a lot higher entertainment potential with the use of amplified voice. What about plays that involve adult subject matter? Say, Sweeney Todd...or maybe Avenue Q? What is and isn't appropriate to say through a microphone at a drum corps show?

Imagine what that Avenue Q show could really be like, with a complete cast of mic'd, puppet characters and a plot that features the hornline in different roles. I mean, there's a whole lot of possibilities there that haven't been explored yet, and there wouldn't need to be any rule changes passed in order to see it happen.

Sweeney Todd (motion picture soon to be released) has been done by drum corps several times in the past:

1986 27th Lancers Not While I'm Around (from Sweeney Todd)

1986 Crossmen Not While I'm Around (from Sweeney Todd)

1986 Crossmen Sweeney Todd Suite

1989 Ventures Pretty Woman (from Sweeney Todd)

1992 Limited Edition Ballad of Sweeney Todd (from Sweeney Todd)

1996 Tarheel Sun Not While I'm Around (from Sweeney Todd)

1998 Dutch Boy Not While I'm Around (from Sweeney Todd)

2005 Spirit from JSU Entre Act (from Sweeney Todd)

2005 Spirit from JSU Not While I'm Around (from Sweeney Todd)

(Source: corpsreps.com)