How many music majors in DCI?

I was just wondering how many music majors that there are in DCI today. Back when I marched there weren't very many, but today they seem to be quite common. Since DCI doesn't publish stats on this, I thought it would be a good idea to hear from the folks in Drum Corps land. Sound off!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to this program I have from the past season, 59.6% of marching members of DCI corps are college level kids that are music majors, while 65% of the high schoolers that march intend to pursue music education

Edited by Huntington Mallets

I salute you music majors. Obviously you have gone into music because it's your love. I admire that. Back in the day of rotary phones and popcorn popped on top of the stove, a lot of us baby boomers were steered into fields of study where we could easily find good paying jobs by our depression-era parents. Fields like engineering. Now we work in high paying jobs we dont' like and are miserable and hate ourselves and we end up using outlets like this to vent our angst. Gawd I think I just figured myself out.....

Anyway I really do admire that you are pursuing what you like, vs. what will land you that $$ job, because, all things being equal, music is generally considered a tough field to land work. Hang in there!

Not a music major by a long shot. English was mine, but you can see how much THAT'S worked for me... :tounge2: This is going to be impossible to get an accurate idea on anyway, because majors change about as often as a newborns diapers do.

But nope, not a music major. Just a regular guy, who's parents recognized my drumming ability when I was about four. I was in prep band by second grade, concert orchestra by 7th grade, jazz band and marching band (as well as band and orchestra) in high school, drum corps at age 14 through 21 years old, and community bands/rock bands/small college bands for the heck of it/and just jamming at home to the stereo to this day. I've played my whole life, and will continue to.

I would say I had a pretty good education in music even though I chose not to major in it.

I'm a music ed. major, though my major concentration is clarinet. I know quite a few kids in my corps are music majors, and a lot of the high school kids intend to be music majors.

Count me one, clarinet major.

Better Question:

How many GOOD music majors in DCI?

Hmmm, interesting question. How about, how many horrible, obnoxious high school kids that come on here asking stupid questions like the one you just asked?

I think the number is pretty high, anyone agree?

Better Question:

How many GOOD music majors in DCI?

are you starting a club? :tongue: