For all those who have posted on this link, thank you so much for making my Saturday afternoon. For those of us that marched with, and for those that competed against Phoenix, tell me that wasn't one hell of a time in our drum corps lives. For those that were there, no words are necessary, for those that weren't I don't think there are enough to explain it all.

Here's to Jimmy Lennon, Harvey Martin, Bill McGrath Sr and all the incredible marching members and the great staff that made Phoenix what it was.

Eddie

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all those who have posted on this link, thank you so much for making my Saturday afternoon. For those of us that marched with, and for those that competed against Phoenix, tell me that wasn't one hell of a time in our drum corps lives. For those that were there, no words are necessary, for those that weren't I don't think there are enough to explain it all.

Here's to Jimmy Lennon, Harvey Martin, Bill McGrath Sr and all the incredible marching members and the great staff that made Phoenix what it was.

Eddie

my old friend eddie reese. i knew this thread would FINALLY draw you out of the closet. well spoken my friend. live long and prosper.

my old friend eddie reese. i knew this thread would FINALLY draw you out of the closet. well spoken my friend. live long and prosper.

Yo Don,

Yep, every once in a long while I jump in....specially if the talk is about old time Rochester drum corps.

Have a Merry Christmas!

E

Eddie

Merry Christmas Eddy,,,and everybody else out there...Beecher

You guys missed Christmas Brass today , it was quite good. Many of my old Phoenix friends were present and playing for shut ins at the VA in Buffalo and then at a nursing home. Of course we had sauce at Jack Leones house afterwards. I guess we are not all so bad after all. We chuckled a little about this thread.

Many of the present St. Joe's Alumni are also Phoenix alumni, including myself and Eddie Reese.

Donny

Yo Don,

Yep, every once in a long while I jump in....specially if the talk is about old time Rochester drum corps.

Have a Merry Christmas!

E

merry christmas old friend.

merry christmas old friend.

Perhaps many of you don't know that Phoenix did continue to exist after the 1976 season. Jim Lennon, the McGraths, The Neisses',Mike Linton, Bargy, Dave Martin, Willy, etc. still clung to the hope of raising Phoenix again.

Rehearsals went all winter of 76-77 from 9PM-Midnight. The book (For Bariforhire) was the pretty much the same as 75. Rich DeCola was the arranger and the Caption head was a 25 year old Steve Cooley. Though small, the intensity of that corps is still remarkable.

In the spring,after a valiant effort to regroup, Trapper had a corps meeting, took a vote, thanked everyone for their their efforts, contributions, dedication, and financial support and said it was one of the saddest days of his life as he closed the books of Phoenix.

Form the the very first meeting on Hudson Ave. at the Polish Cub where Les Johnson gave us the name Pheonix, and at that meeting were legends in drum corps with the names like Martin and McGrath and Lenon, these were astonishing talented people in this community who had a purpose a reason and the skill to put together in 2 years a drum corps that not only shook RCA to the piont that you still have cry-babies out here saying it wasn't fair, but you had SKY, CABS, HURCS, BUCS, REBELS and the rest of DCA shaking there head's at AQUINAS STADIUM in 1975 becuase they all just got ther butt kicked by the RCA CHAMPIUONS, and no way they were going to let that happen. SKY wanabee's, your a moron even think that, and by the way DCA should thank PHOENIX becuase if it did not exist and everyone was back at CRU you would of got your butts handed to you anyway, as long as CRU would'nt have come in 12th in M&M 3 years in a row but thats another thread. If all our intructors had the guts and courage that Bill McGrath Jr. had and didn"t cut and run like the cowards that they were than PHOENIX could have done in 1976 what DCA stopped them from doing in 1975, and just mabey PHOENIX would still be here today, just my opinion and if you don't agree so what.

Form the the very first meeting on Hudson Ave. at the Polish Cub where Les Johnson gave us the name Pheonix, and at that meeting were legends in drum corps with the names like Martin and McGrath and Lenon, these were astonishing talented people in this community who had a purpose a reason and the skill to put together in 2 years a drum corps that not only shook RCA to the piont that you still have cry-babies out here saying it wasn't fair, but you had SKY, CABS, HURCS, BUCS, REBELS and the rest of DCA shaking there head's at AQUINAS STADIUM in 1975 becuase they all just got ther butt kicked by the RCA CHAMPIUONS, and no way they were going to let that happen. SKY wanabee's, your a moron even think that, and by the way DCA should thank PHOENIX becuase if it did not exist and everyone was back at CRU you would of got your butts handed to you anyway, as long as CRU would'nt have come in 12th in M&M 3 years in a row but thats another thread. If all our intructors had the guts and courage that Bill McGrath Jr. had and didn"t cut and run like the cowards that they were than PHOENIX could have done in 1976 what DCA stopped them from doing in 1975, and just mabey PHOENIX would still be here today, just my opinion and if you don't agree so what.

well said john and i concur.