Brass Caroling Tour in Chicago!

"When you think of Christmas, you think of Brass!" So here's your opportunity in the Chicago area to be part of this combination! On the afternoon of Saturday December 15th the "Windy City" Alumni Corps are inviting all our horn-playing friends to join us on a whirlwind Brass caroling tour. We're furnishing a nice set of easy 4-part arrangements, and will be led by HOFer Ken Norman. The Chicago Royal Airs are furnishing a bus to take us on this venture. And their VFW Post in Villa Park has generously agreed to serve as headquarters. But this isn't just a Blue Christmas. Red and green will be represented with members of the Men of Brass and Classic Cavaliers. In the true spirit of Christmas, we will be playing at multiple locations of the Salvation Army Red Kettles. In case of severely inclement weather, there will be alternate indoor venues. All of our brass-playing friends are welcome to join together in this worthy cause. The familiar carols will be on a sturdy folded card, easy to hold or clamp in a lyre. The use of music stands will NOT be penalized. The arrangements are optimized for G bugles. We will also have music for Bb/F instruments, but these parts will have lots of sharps. Alternatively, G instruments will be available for you to borrow - just bring a major credit card for security. Dress for the weather, and wear your own group's regalia with pride. We will meet at the Villa Park VFW, 39 E. St.Charles Rd. at noon to run through the music. The bus leaves promptly at 1PM and will return by 4 PM. If you wish additional practice time, feel free to play along with the Royal Airs who are rehearsing this music at 7:00 PM Thursdays at the VFW Post on St. Charles Road & Ardmore Avenue in Villa park, Illinois.

Feel free to contact Ken for any additional info:

knorman@rootcom.net

See you there??? :innocent::shedevil::tongue::worthy:

Hey Rich, sounds like a great time. What, no percussion? BTW: Which uniform or 'regalia' will you be wearing???

Also, any chance you can get someone to document this on video and post here or on YouTube? Would love to see and hear a bit of this, but Chicago is a bit of a trek from NYC!

Hey Rich, sounds like a great time. What, no percussion? BTW: Which uniform or 'regalia' will you be wearing???

Also, any chance you can get someone to document this on video and post here or on YouTube? Would love to see and hear a bit of this, but Chicago is a bit of a trek from NYC!

Hey, "Captain" Smith!!!! This is brass caroling, as if we were in the Salvation Army Band as that's where we'll be stopping, and this has been done around here with just brass for several years now, I believe. No "slight" against percussion - you know me, brother!!!! As far as my uniform, it will probably be blue, tho I should check with Ken Norman to see what he will be "donning" (Clothes, I hope!!). FYI, if I happen to be allowed to wear "Caballeros" for this trek, I stongly believe that Ken will then put on his "Skyliners uni (it is red - maybe with a Santa hat???!!!) for this event. Won't that be a sight to behold!!! We'll see. Will Koening, the Chicagoland Drum Corps "guru" of electronics will be videotaping this, so I'll see about sending a copy of this out your way, and/or post it on YouTube!! :tongue::innocent::worthy::shedevil::worthy:

Okay, Okay, I know it's Brass Caroling! But even the Salvation Army uses some hand percussion/accessories like tambourines and Jingle Bells! LOL!

Have a great time. Hope to see the video.

Merry Christmas to all in your group from 'Captain John!'

Okay, Okay, I know it's Brass Caroling! But even the Salvation Army uses some hand percussion/accessories like tambourines and Jingle Bells! LOL!

Have a great time. Hope to see the video.

Merry Christmas to all in your group from 'Captain John!'

Thanks!! We were instructed to dress warmly, so I don't think we'll be wearing our uniforms outside. We're having ice storms right now, so we'll have to plan accordingly - antifreeze in the valves, too!!! :cool::cool::santa:

Just talked to Ken Norman tonight and it looks like we will be playing for Dick Biondi and a toy drive. Ken has taken the time to transpose the music for G and B flat instruments so come on down. We will be leaving the post at 12 sharp. BTW there is a rumor :) that there will be some jingle bells brought! :) This is gonna be alot of fun!

Hi again Rich! If it's as cold as I'm hearing, I think the valves aren't the only thing that will be getting some 'anti-freeze!' And somehow I just don't think hot chocolate will keep anyone warm enough!

Have a great time and try to stay warm!

'Captain' Smitty