Inside the Arc 7

And that makes two times in the last few weeks I've seen reference to 'The Mouse That Roared". Other time was a local HS had getting permission to have bows and arrows in the school. During non-rehearsal/performance times the bows had to be locked up in one place and the strings locked up in another. Ya can't make this up folks.....

OT...this made me think back to an accident that was waiting to happen when I was judging bands in CT a lot, late 80's-early 90's.

One band played the theme from Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves as their opener. All well and good.

SOMEONE on staff, I guess the director thought that this was a good idea:

At the start of the show a parent dressed up as Robin took a hunting bow and arrow (yes, a real hunting arrow) and for effect shot it directly OVER the entire band as it entered the field. Needless to say, all of us judging had this look on our faces: :doh::huh::doh::huh:

The chief judge nearly had a coronary and needless to say it was the LAST time the band did that in one of our competitions. :thumbup:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL, my nephew is an archery hunter and also handles the archery dept at Outdoors/Hunting supplier. I can imagine the look of horror on his face if I told him your story. :thumbup:

Then he could probably quote me number and verse on all the laws that would be broken if it was done in PA. :huh:

One of the things that Frank has going for him is that people CAN'T accuse him of not being "Old School" because he's around 65 now and he started when he was about 6. :thumbup: I thought it was a very good article. :huh: .

Bravo, Frank!

Good editorial piece Frank.

Vocals: It's a good rule. I'm just waiting for someone to do something clever with it.

Amplification: I have heard it being used to good effect a couple times. Full pit ensemble mixing is pointless.

Looking forward to your next column.

Maybe it's time to get less pit equipment on the field and get those bodies moving in the drill.

Then they'd have to wear shakos and muss up their hair-dos. Eeeeeewww!!!

Then they'd have to wear shakos and muss up their hair-dos. Eeeeeewww!!!

Naah, just give them contras. We wear berets, flat-caps, toboggans, yarmulkes or anything else we like, but never shakos, busbys or Aussies.

Robert

Frank is great!

Insights from a guy who's pretty much seen it all and done it all, when it comes to drum corps AND professional music.

I'll be honest.... I support the concept of amplification and electronics.... but I fully agree with Frank on this point: It has to be done well, or it ain't worth doing.

IMO, there have been some corps who have delivered the goods when it comes to use of electronics/voice, and some who have completely dropped the ball.

I like Frank's comment about the two-minute sound check. Imagine a Broadway show that opens the curtain without quite knowing whether the audio is going to work or not, or with a less-than-top notch audio engineer at the controls. That show would not last long.

If drum corps are considered, for good reason, the "gold standard" of marching music, then I would hope those corps who decide to use amplification/electronics are held to the highest standard possible by the judging community and the audience, regarding the use of amps/electronics/vocals.

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring