Help Phantom!

I think the same would be said for any corps in the top 5 announcing this. I think people would laugh if it was the Cadets, and I could imagine all the anti-amp jokes that would go on. I also think many poeple would think it was funny if it happened to Blue Devils or Cavies, since they are a little too successful. I also seem to recall many negative stories after corps like Capital Reg, Magic, and others have folded over the last few years. It's a very sad situation, and people are upset that things have come to that. I'd almost say just bring back the DCM tour, and stick with that and maybe closer regional shows, and use the extra time to improve the show, and kick some butt at finals. I think 3 trips to California in the last 5 years, may have been a little more than they should have taken on. I remember going to their home show in 02, and they were leaving the next morning for California, then there was 04, when they did TOC, and finals in 07. I don't know if missing finals would be such a great idea, and with TOC they were already close being in Denver for finals. It really makes you wonder how the California corps all stay afloat when they have to travel so much more each year.

I hope they can raise the funds, but it might be a little difficult after so many have already donated alot of our extra funds to the wonderful families of the Colts members.

If they don't raise the funds, couldn't they get another loan from somewhere to cover the rest, since they have shown they could pay the majority of the debt? And then do a few more fundraisers in the next few months to get them situated for the upcoming tour? I don't see how they are going to even compete this summer, if every single cent they make this year goes towards that debt, where are they going to come up with the funds to tour? I think a limited tour may be the answer, it has worked so far for corps like Mandarins, Pacific Crest, and Academy. If you do that for one season, and let all the fans know you are having problems, I bet you could easily raise the money during that season for the next couple of years.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering what the response would be if a Open Class or other non Top 5 corps made this request.

Just sumthin' to thin' about.....

Very few would care, and even less would actually help, particularly with the Open Class corps. Case in point: East Coast Jazz. They were one of the top Div. II programs the last many years. From what I have read, they have received virtually no financial assistance from the drum corps community, other than from a few alumni. Also look at how many Div. II/III corps have gone under in the past 10 years simply due to finances. And then look at how much these corps are paid at their Div. II/III shows: ZERO.

By the way....just to be clear....

The Phantom Regiment organization IS NOT making a direct appeal to DCP.

It is an appeal through an article in a local newspaper aimed at the citizens of Rockford. I happen to have been born and raised in Rockford so the success of the Regiment means something more to me than maybe others.

What I don't get is...

these mistakes were made 10 years ago...every indication I get, and have researched over the past two years shows me a completely different organization than back in the mid-late 90s.

as far as comments about the souvie workers...I would consult with the Regiment as I would do any business. Your front line CS personnel can make or break an initial perception someone might gleen about your organization. You can never spend enough time, energy, or effort in recruiting, retaining, training and managing quality front line people.

As far as the accounting goes and the whole, well two years ago issue...here's what I know. Mark Patterson does their books, he is an accountant and Board member and to my understanding there has NEVER been a question about the quality of his work on behalf of this corps. He has, in fact, been a quiet, but instrumental key in the corps survival.

The appeal that went out two years ago was because Regiment was stuck where they had a big debt and were on;y going to be able to refinance a portion of this old debt. They were able to raise the funds necessary and refinance the rest, They've been able to pay down much of the remainder and have $52K left to go before year's end.

If you don't like the Phantom Regiment...hey, that's fine. But don't pretend you have information about how they do their books and that $1.2M doesn't add up to $1.1M and a bunch of garbage. That's totally unnecessary. And I would say the same if it was about any other corps.

As far as the west coast tour...here's what I understand...if DCI says this is your tour, you may not be in a position to say "I don't think so." I was surprised to see the Regiment with another West Coast tour this season, but oh, well. They must know better than I do. I was thinking they'd lock in closer to home and begin to perhaps put some cash in a rainy day fund.

I've been around this organization since 1968 and it hasn't always been pretty. I think they have their act going pretty well as of late and it bothers me when it is not recognized. I think the same could be said of DCI as well.

As far as the west coast tour...here's what I understand...if DCI says this is your tour, you may not be in a position to say "I don't think so."

Based on what I've read here and elsewhere, I don't think you're correct in this assertion. The top World Class corps seem to have substantial say about the size and shape of their tours. I can't imagine that it's foisted upon them.

Based on what I've read here and elsewhere, I don't think you're correct in this assertion. The top World Class corps seem to have substantial say about the size and shape of their tours. I can't imagine that it's foisted upon them.

it may have more to do with the number of shows you have available to perform. Some tours are more lucrative than others.

I wouldn't like it but I'd have no problem with Phantom pulling out of the west coast swing this year if it helps keep them afloat.

Best of luck Phantom!

It really makes you wonder how the California corps all stay afloat when they have to travel so much more each year.

Just look at some of the fine California corps that didn't stay afloat...

Freelancers

Velvet Knights

Kingsmen

Valley Fever

to name a few.

I wonder if the touring financial burden is what did them in?

I have another quick question. According to the article posted here, it says their operating expenses are $1.2 million.

According to their info posted here, it says 200,000 comes from souvies, 200,000 from donations, 250,000 from sponsorships and endorsements, 2,000 each from member dues(135x2,000 = 270,000), plus their tour fees($3,000 per 30 contests approx? approx 90,000) I am not sure what they make on their clinics, but I am guess not more than 10,000 per season. And if their marching band competition is similar to the Iowa ones, they are probably making $5-7 per ticket, maybe max facility of 5,000 people? so add $35,000 for that. These are only adding up to less than 1.1 million, with an operating budget of 1.2 million. So either they are making more money somewhere else, or the person doing their accounting/books is not doing a very good job, and that could be part of the problem. I would actually be curious as to whether they even broke even the last few seasons.

Bottom line is they need the donations to keep the organization running, so I would encourage people to donate, but I would also-as a donor-encourage them to do a much better job with the books and accounting.

Again, they said they have been operating in the black the past 2 seasons.

The debt was occurred by a previous administration.

For christs sake, it's Phantom. I guess everyone wants to see another drum corps go to the chopping block.

Just look at some of the fine California corps that didn't stay afloat...

Freelancers

Velvet Knights

Kingsmen

Valley Fever

to name a few.

I wonder if the touring financial burden is what did them in?

Ahem... the CA Dons :worthy: