Fringe Junior Corps Organization

Blue Rock & Chicago Royalaires

Yeah. The Royalaires were from Flint, Michigan. Chicago's corps was called the Royal Airs.

If one is trying to be snarky it helps to make one's point if one gets the information right.

Topic? XFL. As Norm MacDonald said on the ESPYs a few years before the XFL happened, "Not much is known about the new league, except that IT WILL SUCK."

Edited by tommytimp

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take the question seriously for a moment. If DCI's formation gives us the relevant lesson, the demand that will matter will be a demand by corps (i.e., by the corps' directors and/or boards of directors). So, when enough corps leaders want to bolt from DCI (and/or DCA depending on age limits for the new circuit) and/or enough corps spring up that are viable and will eschew DCI, and enough people will sponsor non-DCI/non-DCA shows, you can have a new circuit.

Of course, if enough corps leaders didn't like where DCI is, they can change it.

Edited by Legalhack

You are missing the point he was making.... or actually reinforcing it

He is saying that when people act like ######-bags to him because A) he hasn't marched yet and/or B) they don't agree with some of his opinions that makes him not make him want march at all.

With some of the comments to him on this thread I could hardly blame him for feeling that way either. Would you want to do something where it seems like everyone is an elitist tool bag?

well it seems to me hes just looking for a more elite form of dca, but instead of trying to change their standards he complains that dci isnt enough of what he wants. would you go to a softball game and start ranting that its not baseball? no, you would just go watch baseball.

hmmm, does that make sense? i think it does...?

well it seems to me hes just looking for a more elite form of dca, but instead of trying to change their standards he complains that dci isnt enough of what he wants. would you go to a softball game and start ranting that its not baseball? no, you would just go watch baseball.

hmmm, does that make sense? i think it does...?

First of all, I'm not complaining, I'm asking a question, and second of all, I don't care for DCA. I'm talking about a drum corps circuit that is essentially DCI of the '80s and '90s, with those rules.

Hrothgar, I really, really hope that you do march. For a couple of reasons.

1) You are one of the most impassioned individuals on the face of the planet about this activity. You not marching is a universal schism the likes of which I cannot even begin to comprehend. It just seems wrong.

2) DCI wasn't made primarily for the fans, or to be watched. IMHO, drum corps was made for doing while you can and watching only when you can't do it anymore. There are many parts of this activity that are so, so much more meaningful than just the performances. I don't know if you'd ever fully come to understand them without marching, at least not in the same way as if you did choose to participate.

And even more importantly, I hope you don't let the douchebaggery that comes out of this forum keep you from doing that. People are always going to behave differently sitting behind a keyboard at home than they will when they're face-to-face with you.

First of all, I'm not complaining, I'm asking a question, and second of all, I don't care for DCA. I'm talking about a drum corps circuit that is essentially DCI of the '80s and '90s, with those rules.

Why would anyone want to participate in such a thing? It's not the 80's and 90's. Enjoy what it is today, as others have througbhout the history of drum corps, whenever "today" was for them. I don't recall members longing for the 40's and 50's when I marched in the 60's and early 70's.

...througbhout the history of drum corps...I don't recall members longing for the 40's and 50's when I marched in the 60's and early 70's.

Well, duh! That's because the activity in the early '70's was still drum and bugle corps and colorguard....

Edited by GuyW

Eventually, something has got to give.

Money?

an effort at creating a new junior corps circuit with a more traditional focus could be put forth.

Money?

Do you think this will happen, or is the demand not high enough?

Or if there's enough money?

Drum Corps do not just rise out of the sea and impress the general audience to that of a top 6 level. Even Stars took a good amount of years to actually become a notable entity.

At the moment, Junior Corps is a dying activity. I will constantly say this. The signs are everywhere, 150 members to fill bus seats, shorter tours, higher needs for sponsorships. How many corps went down last year? What happened to the broadcasts? Where'd the CD's go, and APDs go up? How many corps went out because of debt? Phantom Regiment, one of the most competitive and successful groups is facing the same problem that took out East Coast Jazz and Capital Regiment. YEA released it's 3rd corps, that it helped cure from debt. No other group is assisting other corps for financial needs. Gas prices are out of the roof, kids are commended to take that summer internship or job. Plane tickets were at records in years and are incredibly expensive to collegiate students who's tuitions are setting new records every year.

These are the problems with a well established organization with a fancy website and shiny uniforms. Imagine starting a new corps up with a new circuit, who have to pay for judging, coordination, stadiums, and many more things. Getting metal on kids lips with a uniform t-shirt with carpool transportation might just be hassle enough. This should just be some indication of what's really going on out there.

So in the reality of it and with my interpretation, I feel as though change is needed. Drum Corps of the 80s and 90s have lived their time and cannot survive in today's atmosphere and accrual of expenses, unless they're fed donations yearly.

If the junior corps activity is around long enough, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned into competitive Broadway on a football field. Hey, if that's what it is, I'll still be in the audience, no matter how much I agree or disagree with the designs. At least I'll be happy that DCI is still around in some way shape or form.

Why would anyone want to participate in such a thing? It's not the 80's and 90's. Enjoy what it is today, as others have througbhout the history of drum corps, whenever "today" was for them. I don't recall members longing for the 40's and 50's when I marched in the 60's and early 70's.

Why is different always better? Why can't something that is quality remain constant without being subject to this "evolution"? I can think of so many things that have remained the same

for decades because there is no need to change them. When you change something, it is because it is not as good as it could be. You don't change something so it doesn't stay the same, or because it is stale. You change it because it's bad in comparison to what it could be. Avoidance of change is a testament to longterm quality. If something has to keep

changing, obviously people don't think too highly of each iteration, or else they would have kept it. Bottom line is, when you change something, you destroy something.

And sit a kid in front of Blue Devils '82, Vanguard '89, or Madison '95 and ask him if he wouldn't love to be doing that.

Edited by Hrothgar15