"Black Jack" Bass Mallets

drumno5

Hi Fred,

I had the same question awhile back and remember reading other threads that indicated that the newer mallets were much more musical. The Blackjacks were great improvements tho when they came out in the 80s. They were formidable weapons. :thumbup:

During the mid 80's, the American Drum "Black Jack" model bass drum mallet was widely used. When/why did it fall out of favor? Is anyone out there still using them?

thanks,

Fred O.

Hi Fred,

I had the same question awhile back and remember reading other threads that indicated that the newer mallets were much more musical. The Blackjacks were great improvements tho when they came out in the 80s. They were formidable weapons. :thumbup:

Yeah, you could give a drum a good beating with a pair of Black Jacks! Of course, more than one line found a way to play pretty expressively with them as well. The choice of implement notwithstanding, I guess it depends on the players as much as (if not more than) anything else.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts,

Fred O.

Edited by drumno5