Academy moving to Jupiter

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you send me a link to that video?

Thanks for the report. :guinesssmilie:

And, deeper shells on tenors = better! (A YouTube vid of a line playing Jupiter perc had a tenor sound very similar to big Pearls). I'd like to see a line of tenors come out with no cutaways at all. NOTHING compared to the tenor sound of those Ludwig full-shell drums ca. 1978-1981.

So, I got to try all the contras at the NAMM show yesterday. I actually liked the Jupiter horn the best. Kanstul was last on my list.

The Jupiter horn played very well and is functionally sound. You can see to your left, it has a detachable bell, and your hand is not right in your face. The only problem I had was a tightening screw for the tuning slide that goes right past your left ear when bringing the horn up. They said they could easily turn that around to be on the inside.

The King horn was nice as well. The bell does not detach and my friend, an instrument repair guy, said the bell would be tough to repair as the front wrap is so close to the bell. Visibility is good on that horn as well. Very similar to the K-90, but with 3 valves.

The Dynasty horn was pretty nice. It had 4 valves, so the valves were closer to the face. It did seem a little awkward for hand position when bringing it up, but that just takes some getting-used-to.

The Kanstul horn is the same as previous years. Now, I realize I'm not built the same as most contra players, but that horn seemed really awkward for the right hand position. Going over the lead pipe is not enough control of the horn, and under is very uncomfortable. Also, the valves are right up against the face, and that was on the three valve version. They said the 4 valve version has them moved one slot toward the face. Forget about guiding to the left. I did however try their BBb concert tuba. Very nice horn.

I'd say Jupiter has a future in marching brass.

Edited by tubadon

Wow! Thanks for the report, Tubadon!

So, I got to try all the contras at the NAMM show yesterday. I actually liked the Jupiter horn the best. Kanstul was last on my list.

The Jupiter horn played very well and is functionally sound. You can see to your left, it has a detachable bell, and your hand is not right in your face. The only problem I had was a tightening screw for the tuning slide that goes right past your left ear when bringing the horn up. They said they could easily turn that around to be on the inside.

The King horn was nice as well. The bell does not detach and my friend, an instrument repair guy, said the bell would be tough to repair as the front wrap is so close to the bell. Visibility is good on that horn as well. Very similar to the K-90, but with 3 valves.

The Dynasty horn was pretty nice. It had 4 valves, so the valves were closer to the face. It did seem a little awkward for hand position when bringing it up, but that just takes some getting-used-to.

The Kanstul horn is the same as previous years. Now, I realize I'm not built the same as most contra players, but that horn seemed really awkward for the right hand position. Going over the lead pipe is not enough control of the horn, and under is very uncomfortable. Also, the valves are right up against the face, and that was on the three valve version. They said the 4 valve version has them moved one slot toward the face. Forget about guiding to the left. I did however try their BBb concert tuba. Very nice horn.

I'd say Jupiter has a future in marching brass.

Going off the pictures, I'm guessing that the people in charge of designing the new Jupiter horns looked at other products out there. The mellophone is frighteningly similar to the Yamaha mellophone. The contra as well looks similar to King. It seems like these horns are going to be the next Yamaha, if you know what I mean.

Fake Edit: The mellophone bell is huge! 10.7 inches. The baritone bell is only 10 and the euphonium is 11. Zero visibility anyone?

"at six years old, they are just getting broken"

FTFY

I'll assume you marched somewhere sometime. Do you remember what tour was like? 6 years is an eternity for any equipment in a touring drum corps.

when I marched corps we played mostly Kanstul and some Kings. those were built to last many years, unlike today's disposible brass. also, we were a poor corps. we had to take care of our equipment unlike some corps i've seen who disrepect their equipment because they didn't fundraise, work bingo, or take out a loan to pay for it.

Teal has made the official announcement. Check out the Open Class forum.

Now for something that is MY opinion and does not reflect the views of Teal at all:

If you haven't played on the Quantum Horns the DON'T KNOCK THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jupiter has finally got their marching brass right.

As a former high school band director I have the unfortunate pleasure of have the student Jupiter horns in my band program, these new Quantum horn are NOTHING like the old horns. I've played them myself.....in fact I left the Teal Welcome meeting just so I could play on these horns more! I personally played the bari, euph and contra. AWESOME horns!!! Ed and his crew have gotten things right. I can't wait till we get all the horns in and start blowing buildings down.

My opinion of the horns:

Bari - Light weight. Very free blowing from pedal E to the dog whistle notes. Very balanced.

Euph - Let me put it this way, I'd take it home, buy a crib for it and name it Mike, Jr. Incredible sound and it's light and balanced.

Contra: Yes, the first generation horn is 3 valved. But this thing plays like a top notch concert horn. Very free blowing especially in the 2&3, 1&3 and 1,2&3 valve combos. Low register comes out with ease.

I've been waiting to say all that!!!!!

~Mike Steiner