Color Pre

This is for the more veteran DC people....what was your favorite Color Pre and who did it?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loved Phantom's color pre done to Bethoven's 9th late 70's ! Madison's Iwo Jima was great also. Anybody remember when Argonne did the Star Spangled Banner as a color pre ? Guaranteed standing O !

I must preface this by saying that the loss of the Color Pre in Drum Corps has broken my heart.

I came up during the late sixties and early seventies when there were a lot of young people (right or wrong) who were detractors of America in so many ways. Drum Corps to me transcended all that - especially being a New York City kid.

Ok - 1971 West Point Alma Mater

COLORPRESSTRITAS1971.jpg

The last notes of which looked like this - And I wish I had a color shot of this.

Puppet

Loved Phantom's color pre done to Bethoven's 9th late 70's ! Madison's Iwo Jima was great also. Anybody remember when Argonne did the Star Spangled Banner as a color pre ? Guaranteed standing O !

If my memory serves me right, the Racine Scouts (chrome domes) did Iwo Jimo, not Madison.

Didn't Argonne do it in 4/4 time?

If my memory serves me right, the Racine Scouts (chrome domes) did Iwo Jimo, not Madison.

I believe the "Chrome Domes" did Iwo Jima in 1970 (it was on the cover of the VFW National Albums if I'm not mistaken).

The Scouts did Iwo Jima in 1976 in our Stars and Stripes opener and The Scouts Alumni did it again in 2006.

I started out as a guard to the American Flag in 1967, I always LOVED color presentation - coming down the 50 yd. line -

we were the stars for about 30 seconds. We had a lot of positive comments after the Scouts Alumni show about opening the

show with the honor guard and incorporating a color pre in the "remembrance" section of the show.

I believe the "Chrome Domes" did Iwo Jima in 1970 (it was on the cover of the VFW National Albums if I'm not mistaken).

The Scouts did Iwo Jima in 1976 in our Stars and Stripes opener and The Scouts Alumni did it again in 2006.

Thanks for the clarification! I entered the USN in 69' for eight years and was out of touch with DC during that time period.

This is for the more veteran DC people....what was your favorite Color Pre and who did it?

Troopers. Pick a year.

Troopers. Pick a year.

OK - 1970 Battle Hymn Of The Republic.

Or 1960 or '62 or '63 through '74.

I'm thinking that they let it rest for a couple of years then brought it back in '81.

And don't get me started on Ghost Riders

All in all though, IMO the 1970 show was one of the finest ever.

And I might add that 1970 could be the best year overall for Drum Corps Reps and shows ever. Another thread, don't you think Keith?

And hey! Hooray! I just noticed: I'm no longer a Rookie!

Puppet

Edited by Puppet

It interesting to see how the evolution of the tunes Color Pre offered, from the standard tunes in the early 60's to perhaps more obscure in the early 70's.

While I enjoyed 27th's Shenadoah, I felt their 1972 Color Pre of Declarations was more patriotic. Of course I am biased.

To Puppet - the loss of Color Pre seems to have taken root because the corps that formed DCI had so much discontent for the VFW, that radical change was a foregone conclusion. In the very first year of DCI, 1972, the inspection line dissapeared and the next few years the American Flag was "cornered" rather than have our colors honored.

Although there was no formal inspection, our drill instructor Richard "Ike" Ianessa (RIP) made sure we knew what he expected of us, from the top of our hats, sideburns clipped, hair above the collar, down to our spit shinned shoes. It was carried on for years by our veteran members.