Repertoires

Let's see...our 71 show consisted of at least this...

Yankee Doodle

Chaconne from the Holst Suite in Eb

Hoedown

Greensleeves

Taps

Cruel War

Chester

Ives' "Variations on America"

Battle Hymn

A fife and drum piece I can't remember the name of

Profiles in Courage

I remember that show a real kick butt show loved it. Was that the year you guy's handed pamphlets explaining the show?

Edited by lp1955

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember that show a real kick butt show loved it. Was that the year you guy's handed pamphlets explaining the show?

Yup....we did the libretto thing a decade prior to Regiment's Spartacus show. The very first thing we learned in the winter was the swing section to "Yankee Doodle", as a proof-of-concept sort of thing for the overall show; it was actually the end of the opener. I remember the first time I heard the baris (who had the lead to start that section) playing it at the rehearsal hall around mid-October of 1970 I thought "WOW". We in the drumline were so excited because we KNEW we'd get a kick-butt drum part from George for that section.

You're absolutely correct about the Marching Ambassadors.

Here's what they played in '64:

El Conquistador, O Solo Mio, Canadian Sunset, Irish Washerwoman, Slaughter On 10th Avenue, Procession Of The Sardar, Brazil, Take The 'A' Train, Bugler's Holiday, Let's Get Away From It All, Around The World, The Stripper, Woodchopper's Ball, Sukiyaki, You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To

That was about normal for them. Each year they did around a dozen tunes on the field.

This sounds like the VK show where they did some sort of "around the world" thing (1980's).

Someone must have the details...

here's a tidbit, though. Over 300 Corps over the years have played tunes by Leonard Bernstein.

Mostly from West Side Story but oddly enough from the much better IMO musical Candide. Classical composers have also been highly represented: Beethoven and Gustav Mahler among them. We played Wagner's Ride of the Valkeries as an OTL in 1971 when we played only 7 songs but in 1969 we had a rep that was rife with all kinds of famous composers:

Pagliacci by Ruggero Leoncavallo,

Thunder and Blazes by J S Seredy.

Billboard March (commonly known as "The Circus Song") by Klohr

Chester Overture by William Schuman

Promenade (from Pictures at an Exhibition) by Mussorgsky

Rodeo by Aaron Copland

Jim On The Move (from Mission Impossible) by Lalo Schiffrin

Make Our Garden Grow (from Candide) by Leonard Bernstein

When I first thought of this topic I was thinking of repertoires that included versions of songs and tunes that were over like a minute and a half long. But that's because I'm a bit of an old dog. Our shows were much longer than those of today. Medleys I think can only be counted as one.

Anyway, Let's hear more!

Puppet

Edited by Puppet

"Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end...." then came DCI! Just kidding!

Let's see...our 71 show consisted of at least this...

Yankee Doodle

Chaconne from the Holst Suite in Eb

Hoedown

Greensleeves

Taps

Cruel War

Chester

Ives' "Variations on America"

Battle Hymn

A fife and drum piece I can't remember the name of

Profiles in Courage

Was that the year the extra bugles were hanging by the sashes?

Edited by gsksun4

Yup....we did the libretto thing a decade prior to Regiment's Spartacus show. The very first thing we learned in the winter was the swing section to "Yankee Doodle", as a proof-of-concept sort of thing for the overall show; it was actually the end of the opener. I remember the first time I heard the baris (who had the lead to start that section) playing it at the rehearsal hall around mid-October of 1970 I thought "WOW". We in the drumline were so excited because we KNEW we'd get a kick-butt drum part from George for that section.

Yeah, but compared to today's shows, that stuff was lame. Wasn't it?

EditI forgot the :thumbup: smiley.

Just teasing

Edited by Martybucs

Was that the year the extra bugles were hanging by the sashes?

No, I think that the year the guard played horn on the closer..."I Don't Know How To Love Him"...they may have been handed horns by members of the hornline. That was past my time...1978???

they may have been handed horns by members of the hornline....1978???

1977. First year for 2-piston horns, sopranos only that season. The 24 guard girls played the old piston-rotor sops, which were grounded over the front sideline.

Two of the girls actually had prior experience as horn players. As for the rest --- well --- I once had the misfortune of walking past their "warm-up" session.

The feature occured after the gun, when execution judging had stopped.

No, I think that the year the guard played horn on the closer..."I Don't Know How To Love Him"...they may have been handed horns by members of the hornline. That was past my time...1978???

I'm almost certain that the Garfield sops had boy scout style straight brass bugles, hanging at their side one year, along with their regular hardware, or at least one show I saw in Jersey. Might have been 1969 or early 70's. Frank Dorritie wrote the brass. He was standing next to the corps before they stepped off.

Maybe I just have a poor memory. Where's Iron Lips? He would know.

Edited by gsksun4