Repertoires

I'm almost certain that the Garfield sops had boy scout style straight brass bugles, hanging at their side one year, along with their regular hardware, or at least one show I saw in Jersey. Might have been 1969 or early 70's. Frank Dorritie wrote the brass. He was standing next to the corps before they stepped off.

Maybe I just have a poor memory. Where's Iron Lips? He would know.

Hmm....let's hope he chimes in. I don't recall that at all about the 71 show, the only one in that era that Frank basically wrote in total from that era, though he was on staff in 70 and wrote the ending to White Rabbit, as he related to me (big huge mello rips!).

You may be right though; I played tri-toms in 71, so I may have forgotten that this many years later.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm....let's hope he chimes in. I don't recall that at all about the 71 show, the only one in that era that Frank basically wrote in total from that era, though he was on staff in 70 and wrote the ending to White Rabbit, as he related to me (big huge mello rips!).

You may be right though; I played tri-toms in 71, so I may have forgotten that this many years later.

I'm not positive of the year. Could have been 1975 even. Not sure. Maybe there was a song where they had bugle calls on the old fashioned horns. FTD was a proud Boy Scout in his younger years.

1976 was the year Garfield came out carrying the "old" bugles. They used them in the Bicentennial segment of their show until mid-season, when the brass execution judges finally forced the corps to drop them. Their scores did improve after the change.

Whew. Thank you. I thought I'd never find that out.

Their scores did improve after the change.

Yes. Until the corps was absolutely hosed at DCI Prelims that year. :guinesssmilie:

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

Many corps from the 1950s and early 1960s did snippets from as many as 20 or 25 different songs in their field shows.

Absolutely.... back in the days of the "Throw As Much Stuff At The Wall As Possible And See What Sticks" era of drum corps programming! :guinesssmilie:

Fran

• 1 year later...
This topic came to me from another thread. I began to wonder…

For instance, in 1970 the CMCC Warriors played ten songs during their show.

Blue Rock that same year had I think ten and the Boston Crusaders a whopping fourteen!

Of course that's when shows were up to 12 minutes long.

No wonder there were ambulances on stand by during July and August.

We were exhausted!

Puppet

The 1970 Troopers played: Hang 'em High, Battle Hymn, Pop's Hoe Down, Aquarius/Sunshine In, Black is the Color/How the West Was Won, When Johnny Comes Marching Home/How the West Was Won (Tag)

ACasper4.jpg

Battle Hymn Push

Well, we (Valley Fever) never played eleventybillion songs in a show, but how is this for varied?

In Taberna Quando Sumus (from Carmina Burana)

Theme from Masterpiece Theater

Overture from Tommy

Ice Castles

Theme from Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Carmina Burana

Birdland

Love the World Away

Finale from the Fifth Symphony in E Flat (Shostakovich)

Carmina Burana

Caroline Encounters Tom Swift and His Marvelous Jazz Rock Machine

Love the World Away

American Overture

Battle on Ice (from Alexander Nevsky)

Great Day (from Funny Lady)

Morning Glow (from Pippin)